Disney's Frozen - Elsa's Ice Castle

Decorating By koobs84 Updated 27 May 2014 , 8:34pm by m4rvelgeek

koobs84 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 4:01am
post #1 of 6

I need to make Elsa's ice castle on a cake for this weekend and am having a horrible time trying to create it out of fondant. Does anyone have an idea of how to go about creating it? I've been looking everywhere but have come up empty handed. It will be on the side of a two tiered cake.

5 replies
MBalaska Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 8:59am
post #2 of 6

no clue, it's way over my head.  However you have posted really cute cake photos, and I'm betting you'll make something nice.  Why not fashion it after the toy ice house they sell.

Susan0614 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 10:48pm
post #3 of 6

Gumpaste maybe?  I don't know   how much time you have but you could try it out of royal icing but have to give it time to dry.  You can do it in pieces and then use more royal icing to glue them together.   good luck

koobs84 Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 6:59pm
post #4 of 6

I took a break from it for a bit and went back to it. Using fondant I made 4 separate pieces and let them dry. Then the next morning I painted them with edible colour mixed with lemon extract. Once dried, I put them on the cake together and voila! I'm not %100 happy with my result but its definitely a good start. I have a few more Frozen cakes to make in the next month, so we will see how I can improve on it! 

Thank you, MBalaska, for your kind words.

I will post a picture of the final cake in a little while :)

m4rvelgeek Posted 27 May 2014 , 8:34pm
post #6 of 6

Hi, sorry to bump an old thread, but I came across this whilst facing my own Frozen cake challenge and, as I tried three different versions of the castle before settling on the final one, I thought it might help others in a similar position.

The first attempt was carved out of fondant and I found that it was so heavy and just looked a bit... well amateur really. The second was fondant over a polystyrene mould that I carved out of a dummy tier I had lying around and this did not work at all - all the imperfections from my carving attempts were very apparent and it looked terrible.

I left it overnight and did a bit of research and eventually decided to give modelling chocolate a go (first time). This time, I assemble an internal structure out of a small dummy tier and a polystyrene cone which I dowelled, then I covered the whole thing in modelling chocolate. Finally, I used a picture of the castle from the film and cut loads of fractal-type shapes, which I then attached to the base. It's still not perfect, but it certainly looks better than my first two attempts. To finish, I have just lightly coated it in shimmer spray and then dusted it with edible shimmer powder.

Picture can be seen here: http://cakecentral.com/g/i/3242269/work-in-progress-frozen-ice-castle-for-large-mountain-cake/sort/display_order/

I just need to pull off the rest of the cake now... *gulp*

Quote by @%username% on %date%