Ruffled Flower Tier Cake

Decorating By FavorChoc Updated 7 Feb 2014 , 6:01am by FavorChoc

FavorChoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FavorChoc Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 9:31pm
post #1 of 7

AI have seen a few tutorials where the whole tier is covered with fondant ruffled flowers or ruffles. My question is how do you serve these cakes.? Do you pull the ruffles off before cutting?

Is there a way to accomplish this look with a soft icing?

6 replies
klan30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klan30 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 10:31pm
post #2 of 7

My experience has been that you just have to cut through the hardened ruffles.  It makes a mess, so best done in the back.  You could also use a dummy on the tier with the ruffles.

FavorChoc Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 7

AThat's what I kind of thought might need to happen. Probably would be too much fondant for most people.

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 10:03am
post #4 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by FavorChoc 

That's what I kind of thought might need to happen. Probably would be too much fondant for most people.

I've done this, and the ruffles should be super thin so don't really add much in the way of sugarpaste. Plus, as has been mentioned, they kind of break off anyway :)

FavorChoc Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 2:45pm
post #5 of 7

ADo you use a mmf or do you have a sugarpaste recipe that you use?

Lizzybug78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lizzybug78 Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 5:11pm
post #6 of 7

AHiya

I usually just use a shop bought sugarpaste with some added tylo powder until it's about the right strength for me. Last time I did it though I added a tiny bit of egg white (as in about 1/8 - 1/4 tsp for a pound or so of paste) , a pinch of cream of tartar and kneaded using white veg fat (like crisco I guess?). This gave me more elasticity than normal and allowed me to roll the edges really thin - I think it's a kind of home made flower paste. I saw the recipe somewhere ages ago (probably on here!) and just fumble it now.

Oh, I also use a pasta maker for speeding this up and making it easier on my hands. Just start thick and work through to the thinnest setting. It helps to let the paste dry for a couple of minutes before running it through, as it can have a tendency to pull a bit otherwise.

FavorChoc Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 6:01am
post #7 of 7

AThanks for your advice.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%