Making Grey Fondant

Decorating By mamas07 Updated 20 Nov 2017 , 11:09pm by nanavymom

mamas07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamas07 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 11

I am making a cake coming up and had a horrible time creating a light grey fondant. I have tried several ways and it comes out purple everytime! This past weekend i used a 1/4 package of wilton fondant (the smaller package) and a pinch of black fondant..maybe a dime sized and it came out a very light grey at first but then turned to a light shade of purple/violet color. 

Whats the best way to achieve grey? Ive read everywhere about americolor black with satin ice fondant, which i have the fondant but am afriad to waste anymore fondant. I do not have an airbrush machine so thats out. I read on satin ice's website to get grey it says 1 black and 4 white. Is that 1 part black to 4 parts white? 

10 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 6 Feb 2014 , 12:41am
post #2 of 11
mamas07 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 5:52am
post #3 of 11

AThanks for the reply. I had looked there prior but everyone did something different and when i tried the suggested i still got something with a blue tint or green tint..

So i tried all of the suggested.. Lol

I used americolor black, sky blue, white to start. I used more blue n black the. Anything and added the white.. Mixed til i got a greyish/black tint and then added a dab of wilton yellow. Mixed completely and viloa i got dark grey .... Of course i did a little of each color at a time.. [ATTACHMENT=1498]image.jpg (2,115k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

It looks light but its pretty dark.. So i took half of that and added it to 2.5lbs of white fondant and got this [ATTACHMENT=1499]image.jpg (1,630k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

Im loving the colors of both!!

CakeRae80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRae80 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 1:55pm
post #4 of 11

I took my MMF/gum paste and mixed a bit of wilton black in it.  I made gray for shark fins for cupcakes.  They are in my album on here.  I liked the gray they came out to be.  They weren't too dark

mamas07 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 3:36pm
post #5 of 11

A

Original message sent by CakeRae80

I took my MMF/gum paste and mixed a bit of wilton black in it.  I made gray for shark fins for cupcakes.  They are in my album on here.  I liked the gray they came out to be.  They weren't too dark

I tried wilton black and it always turned purple for me :( i will check out your album!

CakeRae80 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 3:39pm
post #6 of 11

Mine are stuck in blue icing and then in a blue cupcake liner, so I think that made the actual gray look different but it was a light gray.  I see on here where people mix stuff and get nice colors and when I mix the same it's an epic fail...

Carabella Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carabella Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 11:00pm
post #7 of 11

AI got a perfect grey fondant by adding a touch of black americolor gel to white fondant and kneeded in well.

CakeRae80 Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:50pm
post #8 of 11

Glad that you got exactly what you needed! :D

LisaPeps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaPeps Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 10:15pm
post #9 of 11

Just google the colour wheel, whatever colour shows too much in the grey fondant, counteract it with whatever colour is on the opposite side of the colour wheel. For example, if it is too purple, add a tiny bit of yellow. The purple cancels out the yellow, which also works in making whiter buttercream. Add a tiny bit of purple to cancel out the yellow of the butter. 

AnAngelsKiss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnAngelsKiss Posted 8 Oct 2015 , 6:52pm
post #10 of 11

In hair coloring we use yellow  or orange to cancel out purple. This should be the same effect. 

nanavymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nanavymom Posted 20 Nov 2017 , 11:09pm
post #11 of 11

I know this is an old thread. I made a beautiful gray elephant in royal icing using Wilton Teal and Wilton no-taste Red. It was perfect! It should work with fondant. I'll be trying that out soon!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%