Expresso Powder Vs Coffee

Baking By jasamy Updated 5 Feb 2014 , 3:29pm by craftybanana

jasamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasamy Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 3:04pm
post #1 of 5

I typically add expresso powder to my chocolate cake recipes to boost the flavor (about 1 TBSP).  I've come across a few recipes that use "strong coffee".   I assume I can use the expresso powder but wasn't sure of the amount of expresso powder that would give me the equivalent of 1 cup of "strong coffee".  Thanks in advance for any advice

4 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 3:13pm
post #2 of 5

Brands have different strengths; I suggest starting with a teaspoon or two and see how you like the results.

jasamy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jasamy Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks.  I have a ton of the "Ferrara" brand, if anyone has any experience with that.  I am a coffee drinker, but a wimpy one, which is part of the problem.  I consider anything from starbucks "strong" so I'm not quite sure what the reference point is in the recipes :)

sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 3:18pm
post #4 of 5

AI have not heard of espresso powder. Not sure if it is available in the UK . Is it a very fine grind or a form of instant coffee. I generally add Turkish grind to my cakes. As I find that most instant coffee does not have enough kick.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 3:29pm
post #5 of 5

AEspresso is basically coffee that has been concentrated. So you can use espresso in place of strong coffee, but you'll probably need more than 1 tablespoon. For a strong coffee flavor, I generally use 2-3 tablespoons in a box of brownie mix for a really nice kick. Espresso beans are generally roasted longer as are "bold" or "dark" coffee roasts. Just add a little bit at a time to get the flavor you want, I like a lot (hence the 3 tablespoons, lols). You can also use instant coffee too (it's cheaper and no one but a coffee snob knows the difference).

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%