Silver Icing And Gold Icing

Decorating By NavyMomOf1 Updated 8 Feb 2014 , 2:03am by NavyMomOf1

NavyMomOf1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NavyMomOf1 Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 2:34pm
post #1 of 3

Ok, so later this month I want to make a cake for my husband, who is in the Navy and being promoted.  I am going to try to do the warfare pins, one is silver and the other is gold, as a FBCT (unless anyone has another suggestion of how to do it).  How do I get a good silver and gold tone?  Thanks for your help and I welcome any and all suggestions!

2 replies
LeanneW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeanneW Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 1:08am
post #2 of 3

I would definitely recommend creating metallic pieces out of fondant or gumpaste and them painting them with luster in the metallic color you need.

If you decide to go with FBCT, you could use yellow BC where gold would be and grey BC where silver would be and once you flip it onto the cake you could lightly paint that spot with a metallic paste made of luster dust and vodka. But even a thick paste with a light application could still bead. Will the BC crust after it thaws? I would wait for it to crust before applying the paint to avoid beading.

If the BC won't crust, perhaps you could just lightly tap/sprinkle a bit of luster over the colored BC to give a metallic impression.

Post pics when you're done and congrats on your hubby's promotion.

NavyMomOf1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NavyMomOf1 Posted 8 Feb 2014 , 2:03am
post #3 of 3

Leanne thanks for your reply! The BC crusts a little, but 50/50 shortening and butter so not much. I have only done one FBCT which is for my son's birthday party tomorrow.  It actually turned out pretty good and I am thinking because of the detail in the Navy's Officer Crest I should stick with the FBCT.  Do you know anything about the Amerimist and painting that on?  I have also read on other threads that some of the luster dusts are not edible which has me confused. Here is a link to the image I am trying to do: http://vector-images.com/image.php?epsid=12154

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%