First Time Making A Two Tier Cake...suggestions?

Decorating By enjoyhomemade Updated 5 Feb 2014 , 11:00pm by Crazy-Gray

enjoyhomemade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
enjoyhomemade Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 10:40am
post #1 of 6

Hello there!

I have been asked by a friend to make her parent´s gold wedding aniverssary cake. I was thinking of doing  for the first tier a vanilla cake filled with lemon curd. the second tier a red velvet cake with the traditional vanilla frosting (the cooked one). I am not very keen on buttercream so I thought I could crumb coat the cake with a whipped white ganache, as it holds better and then cover both tiers with the vanilla cooked frosting. Any suggestions?? It is my first time doing a big cake and I don´t want to dissapoint her or her family.

Many thanks for your input!

5 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 10:55am
post #2 of 6

ASounds lovely! maybe add a few white modelling chocolate/candy clay roses on top, you could spray them gold with a lustre spray and balance out the gold roses with simple gold bosoms at the base of each tier :-)

For your vanilla cake you could marble some whipped ganache with your lemon curd... yum!

enjoyhomemade Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 11:06am
post #3 of 6

Thank you Crazy-Gray! I´m not very good at modelling so I was thinking of covering the base with white hearts and a few golden ones (fondant). for the top tier I´m decorating with frosting roses (inspired by I am baker) and a 50 cake topper in gold too. I will marble some ganache onto the lemon curd, as you advised...thank you so much!

Also, regarding portions...do you think that a 9in and 6in(two layer both) will be enough for 25-30 people?

Crazy-Gray Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 11:50am
post #4 of 6

AThat'll be more than enough, if serving with coffee you'll have lots left over so they can probably take some home with them, if it's for Dessert it might be tight depending on how it gets cut, try google images for 'cake serving guide'

The simple blossoms work great just with a little blossom plunger cutter, you make loads, let them dry over night then spray em gold - the plunger gives them a nice 'cup' shape which looks very professional

enjoyhomemade Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you so much for your tips Crazy-Gray!

Crazy-Gray Posted 5 Feb 2014 , 11:00pm
post #6 of 6

AYou're very welcome :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%