Pastillage

Decorating By dreamacres Updated 4 Feb 2014 , 7:38am by sugarflorist

dreamacres Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dreamacres Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 9:00pm
post #1 of 12

Going to use Pastillage for the first time.  Once it is rolled out, can an impression mat be used?  I know I would have to work fast given the short amount of time that pastillage dries out.  I am concerned it may not work well with the impression mat.  I also want to spray paint the pastillage should I wait a couple days until completely dry before doing so?  Thank you for your input.

11 replies
sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 9:49pm
post #2 of 12

AThe pastillage you speak of is difficult to use because of the drying time. Yes it will take an impression and yes you can spray it. But you could make your life easier by using slower drying pastillage like modelling paste, mexican paste. Once dry it performs just as well as the fast drying recipe. But you don't have the stress of fast drying times. All pastillage paste can be sanded to perfection

Mexican paste takes about 3 days to dry and modelling paste about a week. But drying times are also dependant on how big the pieces are. The teapot below is made from modelling paste. Is four pieces and assembled using RI

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3179676/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

If you are new to pastillage I recommend a book called pastillage and sugar moulding by nicholas lodge

dreamacres Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:01pm
post #3 of 12

Thank you for your reply.  I will check into the other mediums you recommended.  Thanks again!!

sugarflorist Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:25pm
post #4 of 12

A:D

Original message sent by dreamacres

Thank you for your reply.  I will check into the other mediums you recommended.  Thanks again!!

Oh BTW modelling paste Is not the same as just adding typos to fondant. So if you need a recipe just ask :D

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:34pm
post #5 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarflorist 

The pastillage you speak of is difficult to use because of the drying time. Yes it will take an impression and yes you can spray it. But you could make your life easier by using slower drying pastillage like modelling paste, mexican paste. Once dry it performs just as well as the fast drying recipe. But you don't have the stress of fast drying times. All pastillage paste can be sanded to perfection

Mexican paste takes about 3 days to dry and modelling paste about a week. But drying times are also dependant on how big the pieces are. The teapot below is made from modelling paste. Is four pieces and assembled using RI

If you are new to pastillage I recommend a book called pastillage and sugar moulding by nicholas lodge

sugarflorist: thanks for the name of the book, I found it on Amazon.  this is both interesting  information and helpful.

sugarflorist Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:47pm
post #6 of 12

AMy pleasure MBalaska

dreamacres Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 11:18pm
post #7 of 12

items I will be making are stand-up panels 8X10 this is why I was thinking pastillage would be the best medium because of the large size. Any more guidelines would be appreciated. Thanks again for your response.

sugarflorist Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:13am
post #8 of 12

AI have not made anything quite that big. It would help to know what your project is. But for now I will assume that it is a building. I agree with your assessment for the type of paste given the size. But don't forget you can mix and match.

Use a depth rods to keep everything the same thickness. I use a pizza cutter and plenty of cornstarch. Try to roll your cuts in one smooth move along the edge of a ruler. My teapot was 2mm but given the size you want I would be tempted to go slightly thicker. Especially if you plan to use impression mats as the impression may cause weak spots.

I use a cornstarch puff pad to push the paste into moulds and formers.

Don't rush the drying even for the fast drying stuff I would give it 2 days. Make spares.

When you assemble the project if you can not see inside the structure consider using an internal support. Use formers until the RI glue is dry. Any when you colour it leave it on the former as the moisture from the spray may result in a change of shape or slumping. Do not colour until fully dry the same for glaze as you trap moisture inside the paste.

If you need filler then let down some paste with water, brush the area with water and use the let down paste to infill. You can also sand down to get a perfect surface too. When doing both of filling or sanding keep the piece flat or in its former to reduce the risk of breaking. I tend to store stuff for drying in cardboard boxes with silica gel pouches to reduce the affect of any humidity.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3179740/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

This is a project ready to assemble. Notice a couple of bits on formers I will take then off the former and give extra drying time for the internal surface. With flat pieces I usually turn them over and allow drying time on both sides. I hope all this helps I have to give you the tips that the books don't tell you. So if you have any questions feel free I generally get on line everyday.

Have fun

dreamacres Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:22am
post #9 of 12

awww Sugarflorist you have been such a doll.  Thank you for sharing.  Sorry I did not give you all the information on the project.  I will be making a wooden tool box similar to the one shown.  I will use fondant for the front and back and using pastillage for the tall sides.  You are awesome to help share all your tricks and knowledge.  Will the pastillage soften when it comes in contact with the buttercream crumb coat on the cake, should I put a small piece of foamcore between the cake and the pastillage?. I cannot thank you enough for all the information!!!

sugarflorist Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 1:55am
post #10 of 12

AYes it will soften so a moisture proof barrier is essential for the handle I suggest you cover a peice of dowel about 4mm diameter should do it . The corner bits I would make separately on a former I suggest dry oasis covered in shrink wrap for a right angle former. the screws too I would do as separate bits it will give more dimension. Looks like a fun project easy enought for a first attempt.

The sides could be quite thick to make it look more like wood. I suggest you do two layers both 4 mm thick dry them then stick them together using a watered down RI and a wide brush to cover the area quickly. The project below is three layers the central core is pastillage with an insert layer and the outer decoration being flower paste. Each layer being left to dry before adding the next.

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3179794/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Can't wait to see your pictures ;)

dreamacres Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 3:19am
post #11 of 12

sugarflorist love the cup project!!!  So cute.  Thanks again for all the help.  Not sure when I am going to do the cake, it is a marketing project.  I sure will post when I finish it.  You have inspired me to get-r-done.  LOL  Thanks again.

sugarflorist Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 7:38am
post #12 of 12

A

Original message sent by dreamacres

sugarflorist love the cup project!!!  So cute.  Thanks again for all the help.  Not sure when I am going to do the cake, it is a marketing project.  I sure will post when I finish it.  You have inspired me to get-r-done.  LOL  Thanks again.

;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%