Vanilla Cake Scare

Decorating By mypinkbakery Updated 14 Feb 2014 , 9:19pm by AZCouture

MimiFix Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:44pm
post #31 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBalaska 

BUTTERMILK DONUTS:  love those old fashioned buttermilk donuts with the thin glaze of icing.

I made a second batch of your vanilla cupcakes, added a big tsp.of Cinnamon, an rounded half tsp of Mace, put them in a jumbo cupcake pan, baked longer at a lower temp (350 f.)...........Put a thin drizzle of glace corn syrup (cookie) icing on the tops while they were still warm............................

♦wowie kazowie were they good, and they tasted just like buttermilk donuts. ♦ :P

MB, this variation sounds delicious. We're getting hit with that big snowstorm tomorrow; buttermilk muffin donuts should be hot from my oven mid-storm. 

Rosie93095 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 8:17pm
post #32 of 39

Stay safe Mimi!

howboutbake Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 10:06pm
post #33 of 39

AWhat about trying the reverse creaming method? I've used it when I make my coconut cake and it turns out well.

MimiFix Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 6:18pm
post #34 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 

MB, this variation sounds delicious. We're getting hit with that big snowstorm tomorrow; buttermilk muffin donuts should be hot from my oven mid-storm. 

We got two feet of snow. I hate complaining to the Alaska members, but suffice it to say, I am so tired of shoveling.

While it was snowing I made MB's variation and it is truly delicious. The mace really makes a difference. Thanks, MB!

MBalaska Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 7:32pm
post #35 of 39

You're welcome, It's fun making variations on recipes.  I made this with real buttermilk.  It made the cake rich and creamier if that's a word that makes sense.  I've never baked with real buttermilk, but it added a dimension that surprised me.

MimiFix Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:10pm
post #36 of 39

At the beginning of my baking career I only used real buttermilk. But over time, when my bakery ran out or the milk truck was late, I had to substitute with a faux version. I can tell the difference; the faux buttermilk products lack the tang and lighter texture. But not one customer noticed. So I made the switch with all my recipes. It made life a little easier (cross an ingredient off my inventory list) and cheaper (same reason). I'm all for making life easier if the final product is still excellent. 

AZCouture Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 8:41pm
post #37 of 39

AThe powdered buttermilk? Hmmm. Might look into that.

MimiFix Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 9:04pm
post #38 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZCouture 

The powdered buttermilk? Hmmm. Might look into that.

AZ, I've used powdered buttermilk with success but in this particular case I made a phony buttermilk by mixing milk with lemon juice or vinegar. It also works by adding them separately to the batter. (But I didn't like to confuse my bakers so when the recipe said "add buttermilk" they had a thick liquid to pour.)

AZCouture Posted 14 Feb 2014 , 9:19pm
post #39 of 39

AAh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%