Lounge By reginaherrin Updated 12 Feb 2014 , 9:08pm by Rosie93095

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 5:37am
post #61 of 70

A▶snork◀

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 5:40am
post #62 of 70

Yeah I thought no one was actually reading my responses.  You may want to go back and re-read this thread.  As I just stated in my previous post, I was and am not frustrated by the small amount of Canadians contacting me, I am annoyed yes and was when I posted this thread since it just happened again but the drama and frustration is coming from being attacked in this thread on ever single thing I am posting.  Even which search engine I prefer.  Geez people, let up already.  It has been an very emotional evening for me already and then I have to put up with this crap?  And I am sure someone else will have a problem with this post and leave a mean or sarcastic response.  It seems that not only do frequent members run newbies off they also run other frequent members off as well.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 5:42am
post #63 of 70

A

Original message sent by Elcee

Wait. Am I the only one who noticed all this drama is about something that happens only once or twice a year? OP, your frustration level seems awfully high for that. I was thinking you were fielding multiple Canadian inquiries a week!

I noticed it but thought maybe it was a typo or something...

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:01am
post #64 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

My frustration was with the few posters on here.  I originally posted because it had just happened again and it dumbfounded me and I found it ridiculous that they couldn't read the location which at that point was right before the send button.  My OP never said anything about me being frustrated about it, just not understanding how someone could think that I was in Canada just by my name.

Your title says that you're 'So fed up'. That's where we're getting the idea that you're frustrated. And your OP says that you've given out 'tons' of quotes.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 6:08am
post #65 of 70

At that point yes I was fed up but if I wanted to type it out on a forum to vent and get it off my chest to not be "fed" up or annoyed by it that is my prerogative.  Many other people can come on here to vent and not get bashed for just venting even if it is for something stupid or whatever.  Your correct, I did mistakenly say tons on my OP but in several other posts it states it only happens a few times.  You can check that out if you want, I just did.  I am tired and frustrated with having to say the same things over and over defending myself while I keep getting bashed for what I think.  I got several pieces of advice on here that I am using but I am not using everything everyone said, end of story, why is that so wrong?.  I think you really like to argue and are loving being mean to me and I'm not sure why.  You clearly do not read my entire posts and just read the parts you want to hear so you can come back on here to put me down.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 11:44am
post #66 of 70

ASometimes people just want to complain and don't need an answer or a solution, but it's human nature to try to solve problems. Seems to me like everyone on both "sides" is overreacting and needs to calm the heck down here.

I have Richmond VA all over my website, in the keywords, in the search terms, etc etc, i come up first in the results for wedding cakes Richmond VA on google, and I still get people who think I'm in Canada or England occasionally. PEOPLE DO NOT READ. You can put your location in a giant banner across the contact form and you'll still get people who don't read it. Putting the location everywhere won't prevent this from happening occasionally.

However, from your first post it sounds like you're more frustrated with giving out all the information to people. then finding out that they're not in your area once you're into the process. One thing you can do is to not give out quotes or sketches until you ask the question "where is your reception going to be?" That will weed them out right there, and it should be the second question you ask people anyway..."what's your date, where is your reception going to be, what's your budget."

And that advice goes for every baker who ever picks up a phone to answer a client's question, not just the OP. To save yourself time and aggravation you need to qualify clients from the start. Don't waste your time giving out info to people who aren't going to be your client, whether it's because they don't live in your area, because you're booked on their date, or because they can't afford you. The big three...

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 2:03pm
post #67 of 70

Thank you so much, costumeczar, for wrapping this up with some very wise advice. Hopefully we are all done now. 

crushed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crushed Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 2:40pm
post #68 of 70

Kara FTW!

RubinaD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RubinaD Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 3:38pm
post #69 of 70

I have just used bing to search for your company, and a huge warning flag appears for me to not even open your site page, I am in Vancouver, Canada. (just to let you know) You said you only had 4-5 quotes in 6-7 years and that is a ton? It's the cost of business, you should be happy that the 4-5 people in Canada or any other country are actually interested in ordering from you, you must make amazing cakes for them to actually take the time to contact you, so you should look at this as a positive and not a negative. What about the clients disappointment to find out that you are in the US and not near Regina, just mention that from the get go, as others have said people don't read. They actually only read what they want to, and search a site for only what they are looking for, the location is always an after thought.

Rosie93095 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rosie93095 Posted 12 Feb 2014 , 9:08pm
post #70 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakesbycathy 

The bottom line is, regardless if you think people are not reading carefully or are being lazy, if this is happening on a regular basis you can either make some changes or be prepared to continue to be irritated about it.  I've read the entire thread and you seem to be dismissing very good advice on how to improve your business because you think everyone else has the problem.  I can't understand why it's such a big deal for you to emphasize TEXAS on your website if it's going to filter out customers that are in Canada.  Or, BEFORE you take the time to give a quote or do a sketch, simply confirm with the customer "I just want to make sure you realize I am in Texas.  I've had some customers mistakenly believe I am in Regina, Canada."  This would take all of 1 minute and save you some time and hassle.

Agreed.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%