Getting Cake Pops Smooth

Decorating By emetz74 Updated 3 Feb 2014 , 12:18am by FlourPots

emetz74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emetz74 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 9:23pm
post #1 of 6

I am making cake pops for my son's birthday and I have never made them before. I want them to be baseballs when all is said and done. I am working on my practice batch right now and I just dipped them and I let the excess candy coating come off and then I put them in foam on their sticks to dry. They look a little lumpy though. Is there a way to make them appear more smooth? Is there something better than the Wilton melts to use?

5 replies
Merlex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Merlex Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 10:48pm
post #2 of 6

Add just a little Crisco when your melting the chocolate

emetz74 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 6

I will try that. Thanks!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 11:55pm
post #4 of 6

I haven't had much success using Wilton's myself, and there's actually entire threads here where people are discussing how bad they are for cake pops...but if you don't have time to order better melts on-line, then you can also try double-dipping your pops....you would have to get your chocolate pretty smooth first, using Crisco as Merlex stated.

By the way...

The best ones I've ever used are these: http://www.chocoley.com/list/bada-bing-bada-boom-dipping-coating-formula

I've also tried Merckens before and they worked really well...

Another popular brand that people seem to really love is Guittard A'Peels...

emetz74 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 12:04am
post #5 of 6

I did double dip one, and it was definitely the best. I am not sure if cake pops are for me! :grin: I'l check out the links. I do have time so I may try again. Thanks!

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 12:18am
post #6 of 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%