Fondant Covered Cake Traveling In Summer Heat

Decorating By Harrigeorge Updated 2 Feb 2014 , 8:06am by Harrigeorge

Harrigeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Harrigeorge Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:35am
post #1 of 6

Hi guys, 

I have to make a cake for an event in a country town on a saturday and as there is not many supplies in town and there are other things i would like to do when i get there i would prefer to make and decorate the cake before i leave the city on friday afternoon. This means having the cake finished on thursday night.

My query is would the cake last not only from thursday till saturday night but also survive a 3hr drive in summer (35-40*c)

any info will help heaps

5 replies
deb4cakes2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deb4cakes2 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 5:15am
post #2 of 6

Hi 

I recently delivered a cake that had fondant on it in the boot of the car in about 43*c for an hour.  Air conditioning can not get to the boot.  It was fine when we got there.  I think if you put it somewhere in the car where it can get the benefit of the air conditioning it would be fine.  Also I have made cakes finished on Thursday for a party on the Saturday and they were fine also.  What sort of cake are you making?  Mine are usually Mud cakes.

Harrigeorge Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 6:09am
post #3 of 6

Thanks, i usually make a layered devils food/angels food, just the betty crocker packet mix, i'm no cook but i like to decorate. It's in about a months time so hopefully by then it'll be a little closer to the 35* mark and not so warm. my other challenge is that it will be a crayon so will be looking for inspiration for that too, but i chould come through with that part pretty fine

mcaulir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcaulir Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 6:25am
post #4 of 6

If it's a packet cake, it will be fine for two days. Just make sure when travelling that you have soemthing to cover the cake so sun coming in the window can't get to it. In 3 hours, it will bleach the colour out of your fondant.

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 6:33am
post #5 of 6

I recently delivered a wedding cake in 44 C Aussie heat and the air con in the car just wasn't up to that heat. The bottom tier didn't end up surviving the half hour trip.  I had some great tips from K8Memphis after the event to prevent the disaster happening again -  http://cakecentral.com/t/767100/my-first-cake-disaster#post_7475970

If you're using ganache, up the ratio of chocolate to cream to help it stay firmer.  I'd also suggest refrigerating before travelling with it (maybe even freezing for an hour or so) and have a look at K8Memphis' tips.

I delivered another wedding cake yesterday in around 30 C heat, same travel time, same vehicle and it was absolutely fine.  

Hopefully the weather for you will be closer to the 30 rather than 40 degree mark!  Fingers crossed for you   :)

Cheers,

J

Harrigeorge Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 8:06am
post #6 of 6

Thanks they're some great ideas, and believe what they've said about the bottom tier of your's, i was looking for where it was smooshed not realising the smooshed part was in another photo, in other words you really couldn't tell there was a tier missing. mine being a crayon thankfully won't have to support extra tiers, even just thinking of doing giant "swiss roll" cakes end to end, should be pretty good. crossing fingers, it's only my third attempt at decorating.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%