Premaking Fondant Decorations , Help !

Decorating By MoodysSweets Updated 2 Feb 2014 , 4:33am by MoodysSweets

MoodysSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MoodysSweets Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:15am
post #1 of 9

AI have to make 72 cupcakes for valentines day . All of the cupcakes will have a disk of fondant to cover the top, and also little bows and such on the cupcakes . So my question is how far in advance can I make these decorations ? I DONT want them to be hard since they will be covering the entire cupcake .

Should I just make the bows and such ahead of time and do the disks the day of ?

Also, how can't I add some shine to my fondant?

P.s. I use only MMF

8 replies
Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:19am
post #2 of 9

A

Original message sent by MoodysSweets

Should I just make the bows and such ahead of time and do the disks the day of ?

Yes.

Not sure about shine. For shimmer, there are edible powders and sprays. I think you can steam fondant to make it shine. Or rub it with crisco?

MoodysSweets Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:30am
post #3 of 9

AThank you so much ! Should I refrigerate the premade decorations or keep them at room temp? I really want them to be soft ! But not to fall apart

MoodysSweets Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:31am
post #4 of 9

AAnd also, how far ahead can I make the decorations ?

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:33am
post #5 of 9

you can make all the attachments ahead of time.  I store mine in plastic containers (Chinese takeout type) on wax paper dusted with corn starch, even layering them.  Do NOT refrigerate.  when you go to use them, use a stiff dry paint brush to dust them off and then apply with a dab of water, royal icing or icing.  The toppers you'll have to make that day so they are pliable to cover the cupcakes nicely.  I have fondant features made for cakes months in advance.  If, when you go to use them you want them softer, try microwaving them for 5 seconds.  a spritz of pam or water usually adds a shine.  good luck

e

TheNerdyBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheNerdyBaker Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:34am
post #6 of 9

You were right, do the bows before hand and the discs on the same day.

Being MMF it will never really harden like regular fondant will, so your bows will still be taffy consistency almost.

As for the shine, there are a few things.  If you just want SHINE, use either a glaze of watered down corn syrup or steam the fondant. If you want SHIMMER use a luster dust or a spray.  Most can be found at craft stores, but dedicated cake supply places are always better.

And again, being MMF you can make them absolutely whenever you want to start working on them.  The only issue with pre-made items is keeping them clean, so store them properly covered.

DO NOT refrigerate pre-made items unless you want them to droop.  Moisture will kill your bows.  

MoodysSweets Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:59am
post #7 of 9

A[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3178210/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

These are the cupcakes I will be making . Any tips would be greatly appreciated ! & thanks for all the replies !!

Alfiesmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alfiesmom Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:28am
post #8 of 9

the tiny tiny hearts are sprinkles you buy. same with the pearls.  the envelope, bows, inset larger hearts can be made ahead of time.  the lacy ruffle should probably be made day of, like the topping cap. why not pick 2 or 3 of these and just do them in alternating colors, or something more original?  small roses would go with the theme.

MoodysSweets Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 4:33am
post #9 of 9

AI am only doing the middle one , the one with the heart and the one with the bow . I am also making ones with buttercream rose on top .

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%