Wedding Expo Question

Business By IcedandSliced Updated 3 Feb 2014 , 11:15pm by jenmat

IcedandSliced Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IcedandSliced Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 11:25pm
post #1 of 6

AThis may seem like a dumb question but I'm doing my very first wedding expo. I am making cupcakes for people to try. Am I supposed to sell them or give them away for free. The expo was $100 for a table and two chairs plus I'm paying for hotel? Anyone have the answer. I don't want to sell if everyone is giving product out for free.

5 replies
DisneyDreamer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DisneyDreamer Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 12:32am
post #2 of 6

I am by NO means a expert so take my tips with a gain of salt. but, we did one last year for the bakery i work at and we made sheet cakes with just standard fillings. if memory servers we took 5 full sheet cakes it wasn't a large expo and it was later in the year (oct) but we just sliced it up and gave away slices with flayers. we let had a raffle at our table for 1/2 off a wedding cake. what little cake was left over we gave to the workers. i didnt walk around so i cant tell you what anyone else had going on. but the sheet cakes were easer to A) make B) transport and C) less clutter on our table 

debbiecakes75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbiecakes75 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:38am
post #3 of 6

In all of the wedding expos/bridal fairs that I've been a vendor at, we (and all other cake vendors) have always handed out free samples.  I'm not sure if other parts of the country are different or not, but attendees usually have to pay a fee to get in, so they expect free samples.

I use 2 oz clear containers with lids.  I quarter unfrosted cupcakes, place them into the containers, and top it with a dollop of buttercream.  I like this method because I can do it a day or two ahead of time and they can be stacked and easily transported.  I do see other vendors cutting up sheet cakes, but I like to not have to worry about the mess and just focus on the brides.  I display them on a tiered stand and just keep replenishing as needed.

craftybanana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
craftybanana Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:39am
post #4 of 6

ASomeone asked for tips not too long ago, here's the link: http://cakecentral.com/t/580310/any-tips-on-bridal-shows It has a lot of great info!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 3:58am
post #5 of 6

The brides ABSOLUTELY will be expecting free samples.  I also used the 2 oz lidded souffle cups.  They are great.  Brides really appreciated being able to take samples home.  Also, make SURE your name sticker is on the lid of the cup.

jenmat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenmat Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 11:15pm
post #6 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by leah_s 

The brides ABSOLUTELY will be expecting free samples.  I also used the 2 oz lidded souffle cups.  They are great.  Brides really appreciated being able to take samples home.  Also, make SURE your name sticker is on the lid of the cup.

I guess it could be different in other areas, but the whole reason some of these couples come to these events is the free samples. I do what Leah_s does- tiny slices in the sample cups. Fresher, easier to transport and stack. You have more time to talk to people if you aren't cutting samples. 

Do NOT charge for samples. Also, if you did, you would have to deal with making change, receipts, sales tax (??)....ugh what a nightmare. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%