First Attempt At Pillow Cake....questions

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 3 Feb 2014 , 3:02am by DeniseNH

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 9:48pm
post #1 of 6

I just made my first pillow cake.  It is covered in fondant.  I made twisted rope to go around the middle and it seems like it keeps wanting to fall off.  I put a little water between the rope and the cake.  It is being held in place with pins.  The cake is for tomorrow. 

If I leave the pins in place, will it be set up by tomorrow enough to remove the pins?

The cake has buttercream under the fondant.  Should it be in the fridge over night?

I also want to attach fondant bows to the four corners, how should I do that?

Thank you for any help you can give me!!!!

5 replies
DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 10:08pm
post #2 of 6

Are your ropes heavy.  Maybe you need a touch of royal to keep them cemented in place.  Yes I would keep the pins in and put it in the fridge over night - for sure.  If you're going to attach bows to the four corners, that might also help keep the rope in place but I would attach the bows with long skewers/toothpicks or something that goes deeply into the cake - and not put them in place until you arrive at your venue/customers home.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 10:34pm
post #3 of 6

ADefinitely use royal icing, I made my first pillow cakes a couple weeks ago too. If you check out my photos you will see them, the decorations were heavy and royal glued them quite fast. Good luck!!

mrsmac888 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 10:37pm
post #4 of 6

Denise,

Thank you.  Yes, I think my rope is too heavy in places, that is probably why it is droopy. I made up some tylose paste a dotted it along the rope, as I've heard it helps glue fondant in place.  Hopefully it won't fall off!!!!!  :eek:

I put it in the fridge.  And as for the bows thanks for that tip, that will probably help a lot!

mrsmac888 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 2:33am
post #5 of 6

Denise and cakealicious,

The royal icing did the trick.  The rope stayed on and the cake turned out great, at least for my first!

Thank you so much for your help!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 3:02am
post #6 of 6

You truly have guts.  That style cake scares the juice out of me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%