Friday Night Cake Club For 1/31/14

Decorating By catlharper Updated 5 Feb 2014 , 3:57am by SPCOhio

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 1:43am
post #1 of 48

Opening up another session of the FNCC! This is a place for you to share your week, share photos of your work, ask for help or provide help if you can! Hope to see lots of photos tonight!

Cat

47 replies
catlharper Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 1:44am
post #2 of 48

Hi everyone!

I'm actively working on an order tonight so I'll be in and out! Beginning 60 cupcakes right after I eat dinner and then decorating the smash cake and special cupcake for the two birthday kids! I'll post later if I can actually get them done and have enough light! If not then I'll post next week. Hope everyone had a great week!

Cat

leilossweetshop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leilossweetshop Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 3:15am
post #3 of 48

AHey Cat, im working on a cupcake order too as I type.... but I finished Wilton Course 1 this week and here is my final cake project. It was a 4 layer Strawberry cake with Strawberry buttercream frosting [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177754/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177755/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177756/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Hope everyone had a great week, can't wait to this week's cake pics!

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 4:21am
post #4 of 48

AHello everyone. I finished two cakes today. One for a very special momma whose birthday falls on Groundhog Day. Her daughters (6 and soon to be 3) are hilarious and have so much personality. They asked for a groundhog cake and I suggested a spring motif cake with a groundhog holding a happy birthday sign, which they thought was cute so that's what I did! I am secretly so glad I didn't have to make a 3D groundhog. I just don't think I could do anything but an ugly 3D groundhog cake lol. Exhibit A: the groundhog in this picture. :) They asked that he look furry, so no smooth, cute cartoony groundhogs here. [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177792/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

I got some great feedback here when I was trying to model him so big thanks to those ladies!

The other one was a cake for a friend's daughter, who is turning 1 and loves Bubble Guppies. For some reason, she was bound and determined to put these particular bath toys on the cake so I just did a general ocean theme cake. I took this picture before I added some white sixlets to the sides of the bottom tier to sort of mimic bubbles, but I am too lazy to unbox it for another picture lol. The top tier has a bit of an optical illusion going on with the way I swirled my icing! Almost looks tipsy turvy, but my level told me it was golden so I thought that was cool. :)

[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177794/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

Sorry for the cruddy pictures. I was not in the mood to mess with it today. Ha!

Leilo, your piping is coming along! :) I hope you are enjoying your classes.

Looking forward to seeing your cupcakes and smash cake, Cat!

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 4:26am
post #5 of 48

Hi! After a slow January ( a few small orders here and there), the February orders are falling right in place. In fact, we are nearly booked for custom cakes thru April. I guess people really do take January off from parties, desserts, etc. For tomorrow I'm working on a laptop 40th birthday cake with an odd twist. I need to incorporate Toy Story in the theme.  The results will be interesting, I think I got a  bit over my head on this one. It seemed like an easy cake, but my hubby had to bail me out on this one, because I didn't think about the support structure for the laptop all the way through. Thankfully, he made something on the fly, had to re-work the design so it won't be a total disaster.  

I also have a birthday cake, with scrolls. It's always fun to get to practice piping. However, the customer ordered a chocolate cake, with alternating layer of raspberry and dark chocolate frosting. I really would like to stay for the party so  I can eat some of the cake. You think they would notice, if I stuck around for a few hours. It's hard being a decorator that loves cake so much. :D

Lastly, I have a birdhouse decorating themed party I'm doing cupcakes for. This is a fun and refreshing project that has me longing for Spring in the mist of our really cold temperatures. 

I'll post pictures on Sunday most likely!

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 4:48am
post #6 of 48

Another Barbie doll cake.  My oldest friend's granddaughter should be happy. 

SPCOhio Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 4:51am
post #7 of 48

AShe's so pretty!! My aunt made one of these for me for my fifth birthday and looking back, this might have been what made me interested in making cakes. :)

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 4:57am
post #8 of 48

@SPCOhio,

Your groundhog turned out very well, and I quite like both your cakes.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:01am
post #9 of 48

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177815/width/200/height/400[/IMG] Made these for a girl's 12th birthday. She likes music, volleyball, cheerleading, and the color lavender. I don't think the lavender really pops, but I am happy with the toppers. They're red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing.

SPCOhio Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:01am
post #10 of 48

A

Original message sent by cakeyouverymuch

@SPCOhio,

Your groundhog turned out very well, and I quite like both your cakes.

Thank you! The colors in the ocean cake look pretty god awful in this photo. I seriously need to invest in a lighting setup. I have a friend who is a professional photographer and she told me exactly what to do but I haven't gotten around to it yet.

SPCOhio Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:03am
post #11 of 48

ASassy, purple hues never photograph well! Purple is the bane of a cake decorator's existence. But those cupcakes are really cute!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:05am
post #12 of 48

Thank you.  I'm to the point where each time I'm asked for one I start to think "OH easy peasy! No problem!" because I could practically carve and dress one in my sleep.  Then I get the carving done and the fondant on and it hits me how many of those %*&($$%% tiny flowers its going to take to go all around the skirt and how many of those %*&($$%%  beads are going to be all over the floor before I'm done because they're so tiny and slippery, and don't even think about the bows.  But then its done and I think "Did I do that?" and I can't wait to see photos of the birthday girl's face when she sees it all in her favorite colors (the cake is vanilla in a purple and white zebra).

SPCOhio Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:09am
post #13 of 48

A

Original message sent by cakeyouverymuch

Thank you.  I'm to the point where each time I'm asked for one I start to think "OH easy peasy! No problem!" because I could practically carve and dress one in my sleep.  Then I get the carving done and the fondant on and it hits me how many of those %*&($$%% tiny flowers its going to take to go all around the skirt and how many of those %*&($$%%  beads are going to be all over the floor before I'm done because they're so tiny and slippery, and don't even think about the bows.  But then its done and I think "Did I do that?" and I can't wait to see photos of the birthday girl's face when she sees it all in her favorite colors (the cake is vanilla in a purple and white zebra).

How on earth do you even get those tiny suckers onto the fondant? How do you pick them up? I would lose my ever-lovin mind!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:11am
post #14 of 48

Your cupcakes are cute.  And what they say about purple is true.  That's why Barbie's purple in the cake and green in the dress.  Besides which, by tomorrow's delivery the dress would be some weird species of blue instead of the purple vision it should have been.  I can never get a purple anything to not fade to some strange blue (probably the Wilton colors), so I talked my GF into going with the purple where it can't fade out and did the dress in green.

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:24am
post #15 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCOhio 

How on earth do you even get those tiny suckers onto the fondant? How do you pick them up? I would lose my ever-lovin mind!

Its a plunger cutter.  I roll out enough fondant to do them all.  After I cut each one I touch it to a wet sponge, then touch it to the cake and push the plunger.  The little bit of wetness it picks up from the sponge acts like a glue, and the plunger sets it in place.  The plunger also leaves a small divot in the center of the flower that the bead, in theory, fits right into.  Then I pick up the bead with a pair of tweezers, touch it to the wet sponge,  set it in the plunger hole and give it a little push to set it in place.  In theory--in practice about every fourth or fifth flower doesn't want to release from the plunger and about every third bead launches itself out of the tweezers  and onto the floor.  I exaggerate for humorous effect, but by the time I'm done I'm wondering why I ever let myself in for this.  The look on the little faces does make it all worth it, and if someone asked me to do another one next week I'd be there in a second.  And since they're gifts, beyond flavor and color suggestions I'm guaranteed total artistic license so its the best of both worlds.

Of course the kitchen is demanding a good cleaning now and its nearly midnite. . . . .

catlharper Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:33am
post #16 of 48

Hi Everyone! I'm finally done with my order. And I'm exhausted! This is the first order I have done with my hand out of the cast and man, it wasn't easy. Glad I don't have a full fondant cake for two more weeks! I can't take photos of the cupcakes yet because they have picks for them and I can't place those till the party tomorrow but I did take a cell phone photo of the smash cake:

I'll take more at the party so you can see how the whole set up looks. Each cupcake for the "little man" side has a mustache pick in it and each "little lady" cupcake has hot pink heart confetti and a pink bow pick in it. Can't wait to share this party with you all even if the focus for this one isn't the cakes.

Cat

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:42am
post #17 of 48

Good job of piping.  Even with full use of both my hands I can't pipe a straight line to save my life.  There's a reason most of my cakes are fondant, and the non-fondant ones are mostly monkey iced.  LOL  :oops:

catlharper Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 5:44am
post #18 of 48

Leilo, your strawberry cake is very cute! Are you having fun with the classes? I sat in with one that my daughter was taking and it seemed like you learn a lot of stuff very quickly! How cool!

SPC, your groundhog cake is very very cute! Love all the adorable details! And I'm always partial to "under the sea" cakes...I'm such a beach baby! LOL! (Oh, and you are so right...photographing purple is awful!!!)

tdove...this year I'm so very happy that I had a break in January. Yes, orders are heating right up again for me too. As for hanging out at the event..this is why I offer to stay and cut the cake...LOL! No one else wants to do it!

Cakeyou...love the doll. I had not done one for years and then last August I did one for my granddaughter and realized how much I love them! It has to do with making the clothing for them...SO much fun! Your dress is simply lovely! As for getting in over your head after thinking it's so easy??? I think we ALL do that. With each major cake, especially wedding cakes, I wonder why I was so excited to do it...it's like my common sense leaves my body and says "sure, go for it..easy stuff!" and then returns the day before and asks me what the HELL was I thinking?! LOL! But the payoff is the kids/clients faces when they see the cake. Always wonderful. Try Americolor for the purple next time. It holds it's color much better than wilton does.

Sassy! Such cute cupcakes! I love the swirl frosting! I so wanted to do that for this order but the mom didn't like the idea of two toned icing...I think it looks SO cool!

How much fun to see what you have all done this week!

Cat

anaelisabethlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anaelisabethlee Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 8:06am
post #19 of 48

AWow, I love all of your piping! Like cakeyou, I can't pipe so everything is sugarpaste ;) This is my contribution this week - first paid order since getting my kitchen approved! It's nice, but nerve wracking - for family and friends when they're not payin you think, well... It's fine, you get what you're given!! But when you have a design agreed and have to deviate slightly..... Hope my customer likes it! I could do with your advice on this one. The edges of the cake a slightly rounder than I would have liked them. The reason was the pond - I had to put the blue icing on first then cover with green so that there was a "step" up to the grass, and not double fondant iyswim. But it was really hard to cut it nearly round the edges and it went in too far in some places, giving it a rounded edge. Is there a better way if doing that?? Here's the pic [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177838/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Otherwise it came out as I had imagined it :)

And used my clickstix for the first time - what a revelation!!!! I love my tappits, but HOW much time did I save??! Have a great weekend everyone x

cakeyouverymuch Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 11:46pm
post #20 of 48

@ anaelisabethlee

Your sculpted figures are very cute.  I especially like the frog.

tdovewings Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 9:22pm
post #21 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by cakeyouverymuch 

Another Barbie doll cake.  My oldest friend's granddaughter should be happy. 

You did such a wonderful job, right down to the bustle in the back, I love all the details!

tdovewings Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 9:24pm
post #22 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by catlharper 

Hi Everyone! I'm finally done with my order. And I'm exhausted! This is the first order I have done with my hand out of the cast and man, it wasn't easy. Glad I don't have a full fondant cake for two more weeks! I can't take photos of the cupcakes yet because they have picks for them and I can't place those till the party tomorrow but I did take a cell phone photo of the smash cake:

I'll take more at the party so you can see how the whole set up looks. Each cupcake for the "little man" side has a mustache pick in it and each "little lady" cupcake has hot pink heart confetti and a pink bow pick in it. Can't wait to share this party with you all even if the focus for this one isn't the cakes.

Cat

I'm not even sure how you accomplished this with your hand. When I get minor craps I can't do anything, you're amazing! I'm sure you are taking it easy, but just in case. Take care and I hope you get back to full capacity very soon!

tdovewings Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 9:32pm
post #23 of 48

Here are the pictures form this week's cakes. The 1st was supposed to be a nerdy 40th birthday cake. However, 2 weeks before the 4-year old son and his mom called me to ask if I could some how incorporate Buzz and Woody in the design. It was a stretch, but here it goes, the Aliens making their "40" in binary while Buzz and Woody attempt to hang a 40th Birthday sign. 

Next up are cupcakes for a bird house making craft party. 

Finally, a plain birthday cake, my piping skills are improving, but I still need more practice. Using the parchment bag helped tremendously.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 10:45pm
post #24 of 48

AWow the cakes/ cupcakes are fabulous!! Really enjoy looking at everyone's work after the week is over. So I made a few cupcakes and thought I'd try a two tone buttercream for the first time, here's how it turned out

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3179009/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3179010/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

catlharper Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 6:14am
post #25 of 48

tdove, it was a challenge, that is for sure! Here is a photo of the cake table. I'll post more on my blog on Tuesday so you guys can see the whole party! The theme was little Lady (she was turning 3) and little Man (he turned 1) So his had mustache picks and hers had pink bow picks.

Love how you incorporated Toy Story into your cake!! Really adorable!

Cat

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 7:20am
post #26 of 48

Hello all, I'm a little late.  Busy busy weekend after not having any cake orders for a few weeks.  I have been helping a friend who lost her designer, so even tho I am decorating cake I don't really count that as my own work.

Nice roses leilosssweetshop

SPCOhio - great work on the Ground Hogs Day cake.  Love the little critter.  Cute guppies cake

Cakeyouverymuch, Love your barbie cake, I'm trying to finish off a model one for pics but can't seem to finish. Only have the skirt part up to a first coating. lol

Sassyyzan, great cupcakes.

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 7:28am
post #27 of 48

Cat your cake and cupcakes are ever too cute.

anaelisabethlee - cute cake

tdove - Wow on the toystory cake. The cupcakes are cute, nice job on the piping scolls.

Cakealiscious - beautiful design for your cupcakes.

These 2 cakes were my designs.  Another person leaving the police force so a farewell cake for him.  

And a little boys birthday cake for today.  

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 11:17am
post #28 of 48

AThankyou auntginn, really love the turtles cake!! Brings back some memories lol used to love watching it when I was a kid.

Supermom35 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Supermom35 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 11:50pm
post #29 of 48

Hi Ladies!

Awesome pictures! My daughter just turned 18 and I gave her a wonderful birthday party! She got a few friends together and had a great Saturday night cake decorating party through www.alittletasteofheavensite.com and it was amazing! It was actually a great way for my daughter to have a safe and fun birthday on a Saturday night! 

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:43am
post #30 of 48

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supermom35 

Hi Ladies!

Awesome pictures! My daughter just turned 18 and I gave her a wonderful birthday party! She got a few friends together and had a great Saturday night cake decorating party through www.alittletasteofheavensite.com and it was amazing! It was actually a great way for my daughter to have a safe and fun birthday on a Saturday night! 

Stop spamming the site. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%