Transporting Cakes Covered In Fondant

Decorating By MissMeee Updated 2 Feb 2014 , 2:23pm by MissMeee

MissMeee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMeee Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 12:27am
post #1 of 5

Hi all, I am new here and I have gone through so many posts but cannot find the answer to a question regarding transporting individual tiers.

I understand that for e.g. an 8" cake goes on an 8" board before being filled and iced with buttercream and covered with ready-to-roll icing/fondant.

My question is this, once the icing/fondant has been applied, the total diameter is no longer 8" (it would be slightly larger due to the cake and the board being covered with the ready-to-roll icing), so how would such a tier be transported?

An 8" box would be too small as the sides of the iced cake would touch the box, but a larger cake box size would be too large.

Please help!!!

Thank you for your time.

4 replies
savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 12:39am
post #2 of 5

Use a larger box and put a nonslip mat under it....

shyann_rayne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shyann_rayne Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 2:44am
post #3 of 5

What I do is use a 10 inch box,  take a 10 inch board and lay a small piece of non-skid down on it then set my 8 inch cake on top of that. Makes handling the cake a lot easier in my opinion, and you can reuse the 10 inch board later on.

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 4:35am
post #4 of 5

AI always provide a presentation board that is covered in fondant and the edges wrapped in ribbon. So, unless there is some design aspect that requires the presentation board to be larger, I put an 8 inch cake on three 10 inch cake boards glued together and covered in fondant and then put it in a 10 inch box. That way the cake is nice and secure with the sides of the presentation board making contact with the box and the cake a good two inches from the sides of the box.

MissMeee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMeee Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 5

AThank you all for your help. Shyann_rayne that is such a good idea! I think thats exactly what I will do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%