Colour Matching Buttercream And Sugar Or Flower Paste

Decorating By kate26 Updated 1 Feb 2014 , 1:50am by Dayti

kate26 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate26 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 8

AI seem to struggle to colour buttercream to the same colour as sugar paste. The buttercream always tends to go a yellowy shade of the colour I'm aiming for- especially when I'm trying to get pink! I'm assuming its to do with the buttercream starting in a yellowy/creamy shaed compared to white sugar paste. I am planning to do a couple of different styles of decorated cupcakes for a cupcake tower for my 40th and would like to use the same shade of buttercream and sugar/flower paste ( not necessarily on the same cakes) but would like to at least get 2 shades which tone with each other. Does anyone else have this problem?- or more importantly, anyone have any tips! Any advise would be greatfully received!! Thank you very much x

7 replies
cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:17pm
post #2 of 8

AWhat colours are you using?

kate26 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 8

Hi, I use the paste colours which come out fairly accurately on sugar paste but with a yellowy tinge in buttercream, I did used to use margarine ( which I know is not the way!!) but I then tried with butter but still struggled to get shades that tone. Perhaps I should try again if its not a problem you have encountered before!

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:33pm
post #4 of 8

AHmmm I can't say I've had this problem before. I used to use americolor gels but now I use Sugarflair gels. They are both really good, maybe someone more experienced will be able to help. Sorry

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 4:10pm
post #5 of 8

Some say that if you add the tiniest weeniest drop of violet to BC, it cancels out the yellow. You could try that on a small bit of BC. Alternatively, you could add white colouring to your BC - but you may potentially have to add a lot, and also I find that this alters the texture a bit, it goes a bit raggedy when piped, but you could try it too.

kate26 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 8

Thanks, I might look for an alternative paste colour and see if that helps.

kate26 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 11:20pm
post #7 of 8

Great advice- thank you, maybe it's not just me then! I might just give the violet a go and see if it helps!! :)

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 1:50am
post #8 of 8

AI tried the violet trick once - it helped a little, mine went slightly greyish but I may have added too much violet!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%