Baking Powder, Too Much Or Too Little?

Decorating By cakelove2105 Updated 2 Feb 2014 , 1:27am by cakelove2105

cakelove2105 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelove2105 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 4:20am
post #1 of 9

I made a cake today, I just needed it a little bit of batter so I cut the recipe. I came up with the amount of butter, flour, sugar (171g. each) and the rest of the ingredients with no problem; however,  I was't able to come up the the exact amount of baking powder by doing math. So I decided to guess a little, and I used 1/2 tsp, which i thought was too much but I decided to try it that way.

Long story short, the cake did not rise at all. It was spongy and tasty but did not rise. My question is, is there any chances that bigger amount baking powder could prevent the cake from rising? or even thought I thought it was too much, it ended up being too little amount?

Thank you :)

8 replies
SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 4:39am
post #2 of 9

AI caught you on the other thread. I would say start with 3/4 a teaspoon, and possibly add as much as 1 1/2, depending upon the ratios of your other ingredients (specifically, eggs and liquids).

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 11:29pm
post #3 of 9

Too much baking powder will raise you cake, but due to the weaker structure, it may collapse before it is baked, or just after.

Working in the dark ...

Depending on your baking powder [check the packaging], the "usual" US ratio is 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder to raise 1 US cup [125g] flour..... 171 g flour would require an extra 1/3 teaspoon ....

As previously stated, this does not take into consideration any eggs or liquids.

Recipe ??

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by auzzi 

Too much baking powder will raise you cake, but due to the weaker structure, it may collapse before it is baked, or just after.

Working in the dark ...

Depending on your baking powder [check the packaging], the "usual" US ratio is 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder to raise 1 US cup [125g] flour..... 171 g flour would require an extra 1/3 teaspoon ....

As previously stated, this does not take into consideration any eggs or liquids.

Recipe ??

Thank you auzzi , the original recipe called for 1 tbs of baking powder.

butter, sugar, and flour were 400g,

1 cup of milk, and 6 eggs

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 1:52am
post #5 of 9

AThis thread is duped (or the other one is).

cakelove2105 Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 2:43am
post #6 of 9

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

This thread is duped (or the other one is).

No Dayti, I dont know how, but both thread became about the same topic. On this one i asked "is there any chances that bigger amount baking powder could prevent the cake from rising?"  and on the other one I asked "how much baking powder you guys use and for what size cake?" 

Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 8:02am
post #7 of 9

AOh, sorry, I didn't read you correctly! The answer is yes, as auzzi said earlier: Too much baking powder will raise you cake, but due to the weaker structure, it may collapse before it is baked, or just after.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 1 Feb 2014 , 12:40pm
post #8 of 9

If the original recipe
400g butter
400g sugar
6 eggs [360g]
400g flour
1 tb baking powder
1 cup of milk [240ml]
works for you: 

then the reduced recipe - on your numbers - would be