Does This Look At All Like A Groundhog?

Business By SPCOhio Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 3:29am by MBalaska

SPCOhio Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPCOhio Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 19

AThe fact that I am even asking this question tells me no, but I suppose I should seek a second opinion. I am making a birthday cake for my friend, and since her birthday is on groundhog's day, her daughter asked that I incorporate a groundhog in the design. So I am doing a Spring sort of motif with a groundhog popping out of a little mound of "dirt" on top of the cake holding a happy birthday sign (a nod towards the horrible weather we have been having and said friend's desperate Facebook pleas for Spring - ha!). They specifically requested that the fur look furry rather than a nice smooth cartoonized groundhog. He has texture but if I saw this, I am not sure I'd think "groundhog".[IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177092/width/350/height/700[/IMG]

18 replies
FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:38pm
post #2 of 19

I had to google what a groundhog actually looks like...

I Love yours, he's so cute...the only thing I would change are the ears...seriously, the rest is perfect.

See this guy (who looks like a conceited NY city rat to me): http://constructionlitmag.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Stately-Groundhog.jpg

His ears are kinda sideways and lower than yours...

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:48pm
post #3 of 19

Sorry, but it looks more like a teddy bear.  You want the head to be flatter and the ears closer to the head and set more to the sides.  Here's a link to a photo of a real groundhog:

http://wallpho.com/147703-groundhog-day-id-81471.htm

love the idea of the sign!  hth

SPCOhio Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:48pm
post #4 of 19

AYeah, I think that IS it. I was worrying over the ear placement. I will try re-shaping and relocating them and see if that helps. Thank you so much for the feedback, especially since I understand you to be a very talented modeling caker (I searched the threads for tips; promise I am not a stalker lol). :)

SPCOhio Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:52pm
post #5 of 19

AThank you for your input, Cakeyouverymuch. Is this [IMG ALT=""]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3177094/width/350/height/700[/IMG] better?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 6:56pm
post #6 of 19

Much better!  I'd try flattening the head just a touch more, but it's certainly nearer than your first go round and with the theme of the cake I'm pretty sure your recipient will know right off what it is.  Just curious, what are you modelling him out of?

SPCOhio Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:04pm
post #7 of 19

AThanks!! Today I just used Satin Ice fondant with some tylose. I usually use gumpaste, sometimes MMF with tylose. I am still learning a lot about modeling. I spent the better part of yesterday searching the threads for tips since my previous efforts usually yielded a finish with lots of cracks.

FlourPots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlourPots Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:10pm
post #8 of 19

Thank you and your changes look wonderful!!

cakeyouverymuch Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 12:34am
post #9 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCOhio 

Thanks!! Today I just used Satin Ice fondant with some tylose. I usually use gumpaste, sometimes MMF with tylose. I am still learning a lot about modeling. I spent the better part of yesterday searching the threads for tips since my previous efforts usually yielded a finish with lots of cracks.

Have you tried rubbing a little Crisco in to get rid of the cracks?

cakeyouverymuch Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 12:39am
post #10 of 19

Quote:

Thanks!! Today I just used Satin Ice fondant with some tylose. I usually use gumpaste, sometimes MMF with tylose. I am still learning a lot about modeling. I spent the better part of yesterday searching the threads for tips since my previous efforts usually yielded a finish with lots of cracks.

Have you tried using a bit of Crisco to work out the cracks?

SPCOhio Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 12:47am
post #11 of 19

AI have, and for the most part it does work. However, I have found it NEVER works when I am using Satin Ice fondant or Satin Ice gumpaste. For this project, I knew I would be texturing the body using scissors and the cracks would therefore be hidden so that's why I used Satin Ice. I am not a fan of Satin Ice products. I find the fondant to be overly elastic after kneading and too prone to elephant skin upon drying. I know lots of pros use it, but it is my kryptonite!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:40am
post #12 of 19

I don't know if you want more opinions at this point, but if you make less of an actual neck and kind of attach the head and the neck so that there's not such a distinct neck that would make it look more groundhoggy. They don't really have shoulders like that. I see them along the side of the road when I'm driving in the country...I once saw one sitting on top of a single fence post, just hanging out. I have no idea how he got up there, it was really weird.

SPCOhio Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:31am
post #13 of 19

AThank you, Costumeczar. I agree and may give this another go tomorrow.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:50am
post #14 of 19

Quote:

Thank you, Costumeczar. I agree and may give this another go tomorrow.

I don't think you'd need to redo the entire thing, try adding some gumapate around the neck and blend it in first. That might be all you need to do.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:54am
post #15 of 19

AOh gosh, I haven't looked at a real hog, but yours reminds me of those adorable felted animals.

And I agree about the Satin Ice fondant, I cannot use the stuff. It dries too quickly and it smells bad. I love the gum paste though, it's my favorite brand, and I love it way more than any recipe I've ever tried either.

SPCOhio Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 3:08am
post #16 of 19

AJudging from this video, I need to connect his cheeks to his sloping shoulders and give him a backstory of being stranded in London by his drunk friend Alan (he is about 2 minutes in). :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 3:08am
post #17 of 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by AZCouture 

Oh gosh, I haven't looked at a real hog, but yours reminds me of those adorable felted animals.

And I agree about the Satin Ice fondant, I cannot use the stuff. It dries too quickly and it smells bad. I love the gum paste though, it's my favorite brand, and I love it way more than any recipe I've ever tried either.

{I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks that it smells bad.  It's like a plasticky chem-tech smell. No one I know wants to touch the cake when I've used it.}

The groundhog photo looks more like a fat furry rocket with ears on the side.

Your second one is cute.:)

SPCOhio Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 3:19am
post #18 of 19

AThanks, MB. I think I can still do better, though. We shall see. Since there will be other stuff going on with the cake,and he will be largely inside a dirt mound, the eye may not focus much on him so my extra work may not be worth the effort. The youngest daughter in this family loves to gnaw on my figures so he won't be around long for ogling. :)

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 3:29am
post #19 of 19

Quote:

Thanks, MB. I think I can still do better, though. We shall see. Since there will be other stuff going on with the cake,and he will be largely inside a dirt mound, the eye may not focus much on him so my extra work may not be worth the effort. The youngest daughter in this family loves to gnaw on my figures so he won't be around long for ogling. icon_smile.gif

That may be one of the best parts of decorating, if it all taste good, all is well in the end.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%