Can I Cover Cake Pop With Isomalt Inside A Mold? I.e. Lollipop Candy Cake

Baking By dfirma Updated 31 Jan 2014 , 8:33am by dfirma

dfirma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dfirma Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:42am
post #1 of 8

id like to use isomalt instead of candy melts to cover cake pops ( inside a mold ) because I live in Dubai which is humid all year long so, im just wondering have any of you tried using it?

7 replies
sugarflorist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarflorist Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 10:45am
post #2 of 8

AI believe that isomalt is not classed as an edible product. But toffee might work , although I doubt if cake pops would stay on the stick as the hot sugar will melt the buttercream and make them fall apart. Freezing them may work well

dfirma Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 11:33am
post #3 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by sugarflorist 

I believe that isomalt is not classed as an edible product. But toffee might work , although I doubt if cake pops would stay on the stick as the hot sugar will melt the buttercream and make them fall apart. Freezing them may work well

oh I see...I guess I have to experiment some more before I actually come to THAT perfect technique in cakepop making; thanks for the reply sugarflorist

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 12:42pm
post #4 of 8

AYes, isomalt is edible. but as a customer, I would not want to eat a soft cake pop in a hard candy shell.

sugarflorist Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 2:47pm
post #5 of 8

AI am sure that I read somewhere that isomalt has a laxative affect tried to Google but could not find it.

IowaBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IowaBaker Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:00pm
post #6 of 8

AIsomalt is almost entirely sorbitol and mannitol (98% or more), which can both have a laxitive effect. Some are more sensitive than others. If I knew that's what the coating was, I would definitely limit myself to one cake pop.More would be very bad news.

Maybe roll them in crushed hard candies? I have not tried this and don't know if they would absorb too much moisture. I'd do a trial run before making a big batch.

sugarflorist Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 7:05pm
post #7 of 8

AThis is what the use in diabetic sweets.

Not sure what your occasion is but perhaps cake pops and a chocolate fountain would fit the bill.

dfirma Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 8:33am
post #8 of 8

thanks for all your insights, really appreciate them! so isomalt is not a good idea for cakepops ; id better stick to perfecting the chocolate coating then-

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%