Ok, How On Earth Are You Supposed To Make Buttons Look Nice?

Decorating By janicecold Updated 25 Jan 2007 , 12:50pm by mcalhoun

janicecold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janicecold Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 20

Ok, I have spent about half an hour trying to make button like in the Wilton year book. I did it the way they say to and it looks nothing like the pictures (with exception to those that are really good at cake decorating, which is most people on here!). I know that it is hard to make it look exactly like in the picture, but it would be nice if it could look pretty close to the picture. I have tried different thing but it still does not look that great. Any ideas to make the would be really appreciated. Thanks guys!!

19 replies
melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 10:49pm
post #2 of 20

how do they instruct to do it?

on my own thinking...i'd cut a circle out with the back of an icing tip or small round cutter. then find an object slightly smaller than the circle, (maybe a small bottle lid?) and impress on it. then take a small round tip #1 and poke 2 or 4 holes in its center. i'd let it sit for a minute to set up before lifting it so i wouldnt distort its shape.

oolala Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oolala Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 10:51pm
post #3 of 20

Do you have a photo showing as to how it suppose to look ?

janicecold Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:02pm
post #4 of 20

It is in the 2006 year book. I have seen some cakes on here with them on their cakes and they look good. The instructions tell you to make a little ball out of fondant and flatten it slightly, use a dowel and press in the middle and then make the hole with a tip. Maybe it is just my fondant I am not sure. I have no picture to show you on here.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Jan 2007 , 11:13pm
post #5 of 20

I made little balls of fondant and flattened them with the bottom of a glass (with crisco on it). then I used the cap of a bottle of vanilla to make the indentation, then a #2 or #3 tip to make the two little holes. They definitely did not all turn out perfect so it's best to make extras. They were for the "Quilted Scallops and Stars" baby shower cake in my gallery. It's closely modeled on a cake from the new Wilton Tiered Cakes book.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:38am
post #6 of 20

Yeah, those Wilton button instructions stink. I did mine the way melysa described. I rolled out the fondant, cut out the buttons, and used the end of a dowel (that happened to be 2 feet long!) to impress the button. Then I poked some holes with a toothpick.

oolala Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:48am
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I made little balls of fondant and flattened them with the bottom of a glass (with crisco on it). then I used the cap of a bottle of vanilla to make the indentation, then a #2 or #3 tip to make the two little holes. They definitely did not all turn out perfect so it's best to make extras. They were for the "Quilted Scallops and Stars" baby shower cake in my gallery. It's closely modeled on a cake from the new Wilton Tiered Cakes book.

Hello Kelleym,
I have made the same exact buttons like you did, and did not have a bit of a problem.
I thought they were quite easy though. I guess practice will make it perfect. I made mine using a small ball of FOndant then press the tip of the dowel down at the center then used a toothpick to make the holes. I did not roll mine out , because the real buttons are not paper thin.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:01am
post #8 of 20

Kelleym, Cakes by Sam used to carry the chocolate button candy mold. Now she doesn't. i have been on a quest for this myself. Someone on CC promised to mail me the mold but never did. I am going to email Sam and find out where she got hers. When she responds I will get back to you. I know that the Whimsical Bakehouse Book has instructions in there. Do you have that book?

janicecold Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:10am
post #9 of 20

kelleym, i have that cake in my favorites. my daughter loved that cake when she saw it and wanted me to make that cake for the shower i am making the cake for on friday. I will have to try these ideas. your buttons look great. like oolala said, "practice will make it perfect". i will have to keep practicing till they are perfect! i would love a botton mold myself but i find it difficult to get stuff here in winnipeg. i find that there is alot more in the states. oh well!!

oolala Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:42am
post #10 of 20

Janice,

You can also buy button mold from: www.firstimpressionsmolds.com

I have bought some molds from them and they are nice ones.. Kind of like blue rubbery stuff. I don;t think it is Sisicone.

janicecold Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 1:49am
post #11 of 20

Thanks oolala! I will have to check them out.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 2:50am
post #12 of 20

I haven't sen the Wilton buttons or instructions so am just guessing that you are speaking of a real button shape, not just a round ball like a pearl wedding gown button.

I have made my own button molds with silicone plastique using real buttons to mold. But if you don't have a mold you can use a real button, grease it with a light film of Crisco, then make a small ball of fondant or gumpaste and press the BACK of the button into the paste, trim the edges with scissors or a sharp knife. Remove the button and let the paste dry in something slightly rounded, like the back of a rounded measuring spoon. Lay the fondant button face down on the back of the spoon and let dry for about 30 minutes, take the button off, turn it over and dry the other side inside the measuring spoon. Dust with color if you want to, or just color the fondant to begin with.

janicecold Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 3:54am
post #13 of 20

I had thought about doing that also ShirleyW. I would have to go out and buy some buttons. Yes, I don't have many buttons floating around. Maybe 1 or 2 if I look around hard enough!! I think that I will have to make a trip to the store and get some buttons. Thanks ShirleyW!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:03am
post #14 of 20

Your welcome. I think the old days when our mothers had a Prince Albert tobacco can filled with odd buttons is over? I remember my mother cutting the buttons off ragged clothing items, saving the buttons and braiding the rags to make a rug. Much easier today to just go out and buy the buttons. icon_biggrin.gif

janicecold Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 4:05am
post #15 of 20

That is so true ShirleyW. I remember my grandmother having a big jar of buttons and come to think of it my mom did also. Or should I say the probably still do since they are both still alive!

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 6:45am
post #16 of 20

Not over yet - I still cut the buttons off old clothes and put them in a can before I turn the cloth into rags for the garage...I can't stand the waste icon_redface.gif

hellie0h Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hellie0h Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 11:46am
post #17 of 20

I inherited a big ole can of buttons from my mother-in-law, many vintage buttons from the 1920's. They have come in handy for crafts. Thanks for the tip Shirley for using the button itself as an impression.

Helen

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:08pm
post #18 of 20

Great ideas! Shirley I love reading your posts! I've been into cakes since 2004 & I still haven't done a babyshower cake!! I would love to do one but never have practice time. The buttons are adorable!

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:33pm
post #19 of 20

What a great idea Shirley! I have two tins full of buttons that I had no idea what to do with. I'm going to have to dig them out and give it a try. thanks for the tip.

mcalhoun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcalhoun Posted 25 Jan 2007 , 12:50pm
post #20 of 20

I don't know if you have a clay gun or not but I made my little ball and flattened it with my finger then took the insert for my clay gun that would make 4 strings and pressed it into my button and it worked perfect.
Melissa

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%