cakelove2105 Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 1:13am
post #1 of

AHello cake lovers, Please recommend some butter and margarine brands. The ones I've been using are not working on my cakes. You might ask yourself why I use margarine, well, I use both margarine and butter because I make Dominican cakes and the recipe calls for both.

I'm not sure if Country Crock is margarine or No, but it always mess up all my recipes, and I decided to not use it any more.

Suggestions please!

Thank you!

9 replies
vldutoit Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 1:58am
post #2 of

ACountry Crock is margarine but you have the whipped kind as well as the sticks. The sticks are usually used for basking while the whipped kind has water and air whipped into it and is used for spreading on toast. As far as a preference I can't help, I dont use margarine.

Spooky_789 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:29am
post #3 of

Imperial brand margarine has a high fat content.  I used to use Parkay back in the day when baking cookies that called for margerine.

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 1:45am
post #4 of

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spooky_789 
 

Imperial brand margarine has a high fat content.  I used to use Parkay back in the day when baking cookies that called for margerine.

Is high fat content a bad thing?

MimiFix Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:10am
post #5 of

Spreads are not formulated for baking. Do not use margarine spreads, such as Country Crock, in your recipes. Use stick margarine with the highest fat content you can find. Fleischmann's and Land o Lakes are both good brands for baking.

SPCOhio Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 2:39am
post #6 of

AI don't use margarine, but I swear by Plugra butter! I am a scratch baker and when I switched to Plugra from Land O' Lakes and my store brand, I saw a big improvement in the texture of my cakes. Apparently, the lower moisture level of Plugra works better for my recipes.

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 3:28am
post #7 of
Quote:
Originally Posted by MimiFix 
 

Spreads are not formulated for baking. Do not use margarine spreads, such as Country Crock, in your recipes. Use stick margarine with the highest fat content you can find. Fleischmann's and Land o Lakes are both good brands for baking.

Thanks a lot Mimifix. Very useful comment.

cakelove2105 Posted 31 Jan 2014 , 3:30am
post #8 of

Thank you all for your comments and suggestions :)

Spooky_789 Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 11:11pm
post #9 of

ANo, high fat is a good thing.

enga Posted 2 Feb 2014 , 11:30pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPCOhio 

I don't use margarine, but I swear by Plugra butter! I am a scratch baker and when I switched to Plugra from Land O' Lakes and my store brand, I saw a big improvement in the texture of my cakes. Apparently, the lower moisture level of Plugra works better for my recipes.

;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%