What Is Tylose For?

Decorating By mammybee Updated 29 Jan 2014 , 11:54pm by JWinslow

mammybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mammybee Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 9:53pm
post #1 of 7

Hi, I'm new to this site and very new at baking! I'm wanting to know what tylose is for? Ive read that you knead it into fondant to make it dry faster/harder/stronger? But would this be the equivalent to making things ahead of time?

also if you used tylose can you still eat the the fondant? and could you give me an example of a time you would use it rather than just using fondant without it?

Thanks for your help would be grateful for any advice given!

xx

6 replies
ChiCakeLady75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiCakeLady75 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 7

Tylose is used to stiffen up gumpaste/fondant quicker so its easier to work with. You absolutely can still eat the fondant/gumpaste with the tylose in it. 

I always use the tylose because it just makes the gumpaste/fondant more manageable. You don't have to worry about anything drooping or slowly falling apart because its not stiffening quick enough. Its a great product!

ChiCakeLady75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiCakeLady75 Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 10:08pm
post #3 of 7

I should clarify something. I  said I always use the tylose because it makes the fondant/gumpaste more manageable, I meant to say that I always use the fondant when I'm making accent pieces, flowers, swags, figures, letters, numbers, etc. I never use it when covering the entire cake. 

cupcakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakemaker Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 10:21pm
post #4 of 7

AIt makes it stronger so less brittle. Yes it's still edible if used.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 11:16pm
post #5 of 7

Welcome mammybee!

As stated above, Tylose is used to stiffen fondant/gumpaste for decorations -  especially with red & black fondant.  You can also make edible glue with it.   I use about 1/8 tsp added to 2.5 Tablespoons of very hot water.  Stir it up and put it in the refrigerator until clear.  It should be in an airtight container.

Jeanne

Danilou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Danilou Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 11:41pm
post #6 of 7

I've noticed,, (while edible)  it doesn't taste too good, so I try to only use it on decorations that probably won't get eaten.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 29 Jan 2014 , 11:54pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danilou 

I've noticed,, (while edible)  it doesn't taste too good, so I try to only use it on decorations that probably won't get eaten.

I should have qualified that I mostly use it for gum paste flowers :)  Good catch!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%