How Do I Carve My Cakes To Get These 2 Different Corset Shapes Shown Below?

Decorating By pastrymaniac Updated 7 Feb 2014 , 1:10am by SystemMod1

pastrymaniac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymaniac Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 4:52am
post #1 of 3

Hi fellow cake decorators,

I have this cake design that I LOVE and I would really like to try something with a similar shape. I think

it´s what people call the corset shape but I don´t quite know how to carve the cake like that. I admit this cake has been intringuing me for quite a while now.

Here is the link for the cake:

http://www.juxtapost.com/site/permlink/b3e7bd10-f94b-11e1-a213-29c42dde7254/post/white_and_gold_elegance_wedding_cake/

One thing I noticed is that the bottom tier has a completely different shape when compared to the high deep cake covered in white lace in the center.

First question:

How is the bottom tier carved to get that even curvy look all around? Cause with this one I don´t even have a clue!!

Second question:

Regarding the corset shaped deep cake with the white lace should I carve two round cakes like they were going to be topsy turvy ones and join them to get that look?

I have been wondering if  I carve two round tiers from scratch until they have a wider top and a base that is like 2 inches more narrow (like for a topsy turvy but without creating a slope on the top of the cakes, keeping the tops straight) and then attaching the two cakes together so that they join where their base is narrow... would I get it that way?

Opinions and suggestions greatly appreciated !  This one is really bugging me ;)

Thanks in advance everyone :)

Best wishes

2 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 11:58am
post #2 of 3

AJust stack the cakes and carve the dipped shape out of the middle. It looks pretty self-explanatory to me, there's nothing really complicated about it. i think you're telling yourself that it has to be trickier than it is, but it really isn't.

You can also cut out a curved piece of cardboard to put up against the cake to make sure the dip you carve out is the same all the way around, but that't the only "tricky" part.

SystemMod1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SystemMod1 Posted 7 Feb 2014 , 1:10am
post #3 of 3

Duplicate thread, please see http://cakecentral.com/t/767631/how-do-i-carve-my-cakes-evenly-to-get-these-2-different-corset-shapes-shown-below

Only post ONE thread on a topic on ONE board.  Thank you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%