Crooked Sheet Cake, Has Anyone Made One?

Decorating By mamapastel Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 1:50am by gscout73

mamapastel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamapastel Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:37pm
post #1 of 13

ASo I was recently asked to make a baby shower cake that was crooked, only she wanted it on a sheet cake. It will also have a smaller tier on top that is crooked as well. I have never seen one done like this. Can it be done?

12 replies
reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:39pm
post #2 of 13

What do you mean by crooked?

mamapastel Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:46pm
post #3 of 13

ATopsy turvy or whatever it's called. It will bea two layer cake.

reginaherrin Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:54pm
post #4 of 13

Why in the world would she want a topsy turvy sheet cake?  What sizes does she want?  I do round topsy turvy cakes all the time and have seen square topsy turvy cakes but never a sheet cake.  Topsys are hard to begin with and doing it in a sheet cake would be even harder.  If you haven't done one before I would not start with a sheet cake. 

mamapastel Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:55pm
post #5 of 13

AIt will be a 9x13 2 layer cake with a 6 inch square on top, all topsy turvy. Do you think it will look right?

mamapastel Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:56pm
post #6 of 13

AHer reasoning is that it will be easier to cut the cake, which I think will not work.

reginaherrin Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 5:03pm
post #7 of 13

I think it would look odd just with the sizes not the mention the topsy turvy effect.  What I would suggest is to get out those size pans and stack them to see what it will look like and you will see how big a difference there are between the two sizes.  Also the topsy turvy effect just wont look right with a sheet cake and an different shape on top.  You can also sketch it out with all the decorations and see what you and the customer thinks.

mamapastel Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 5:03pm
post #8 of 13

AThanks! I wasnt really planning on making the cake like she said, I just wondered if it was possible. I will go with squares.

reginaherrin Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 5:06pm
post #9 of 13

I am sure it is possible but super hard since it is a rectangle and will be longer on one end.  Plus, the whole purpose of a topsy is so you can turn it and see a different angle which wouldn't have the same effect with a sheet cake.

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 5:07am
post #10 of 13

I agree, what is being described just sounds so odd :-?

Sylviagretta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sylviagretta Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 11:20am
post #11 of 13

AI am a little surprised at the negativity in the responses! Of course it can be done! I agree, get with your customer and sketch it out. Doesn't have to fancy sketching, just enough to get a better idea of what she's envisioning. After the creativity I've seen on this site, there is nothing that can't be done, and done well! Good luck!

reginaherrin Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 11:47pm
post #12 of 13

There is no negativity, I told her it could be done but would be super hard and would look super weird.  It just would not turn out to be a real topsy turvy cake because once you turn it a certain way it will look weird and just like a hill or something. 

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 1:50am
post #13 of 13

Quote:

Originally Posted by reginaherrin 

There is no negativity, I told her it could be done but would be super hard and would look super weird.  It just would not turn out to be a real topsy turvy cake because once you turn it a certain way it will look weird and just like a hill or something.

I hope I didn't come across as negative. The way I interpreted the description, it sounded peculiar. That's not negative, just not understanding or comprehending,

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%