First Wedding Cake Tasting - Please Help

Business By aaalfonso2000 Updated 4 Feb 2014 , 12:13pm by aaalfonso2000

aaalfonso2000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaalfonso2000 Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 7:26pm
post #1 of 21

I have just started my own cake business from home. Now I have my 1st Wedding Cake tasting appointment set up in a couple of weeks. I will be holding the tasting at my client's home. I was wondering what do I need to bring with me and is there something that would work for transporting?
So far, I have:
the cake selected
bottled water for the tasters
clear plastic plates, utensils and cups
napkins

Any advice on anything else that I need to make this tasting successful will be appreciated.

Thank you very much.

20 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 11:39pm
post #2 of 21

i would toss all that in a cute basket--

i carted my stuff around in a little cordon bleu suitcase on wheels--order book, books, pictures-- i can unashamedly copy most anything and so i carried books so the clients can gather up their ideas--i carried small post it notes so we could easily mark different pages where they liked this silhouette, that border, color, design etc. and a calculator usually found on our phones now i guess--pens and a nice big index card to write 'homework' fro the bride--where during the consult if i needed a color swatch from her or a decision about this or that i'd write it down and give it to her at the consult--reinforce it with and email later but--any how some thoughts for you--

and i always met at starbucks or at my store, church or some neutral place --

be aware of potentially giving them a moment to discuss things somehow--it sounds like you will be serving them rather than leaving the treats for after ward-- 

i have a dear friend who did samplings and consults like this at the client's house before she got her own cake shop--hope all goes very well for you

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 12:14am
post #3 of 21

Are you going to them because you can't have people at your place?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 2:39am
post #4 of 21

AI would meet at a public place just for safety reasons.

aaalfonso2000 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 3:49am
post #5 of 21

AAZCouture - I am doing that because I live in a small apartment and I would like them to be focused on the tasting and consultation than the size of my work space.

Leah - where would you recommend to me where there is no distractions?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:15am
post #6 of 21

ACoffee shop, non peak hours. How'd you get your apartment kitchen licensed? Or maybe you work out of a communal commercial kitchen. It doesn't take offer any consultation space?

aaalfonso2000 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 4:55am
post #7 of 21

AI am able to run a home base bakery without a commercial kitchen in my area but I have certain restrictions, like I can't sell anything that needs refrigeration or frozen. Don't you think there would be distractions at a coffee shop and are you able to bring in outside food?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 5:30am
post #8 of 21

For safety reasons, please do not go to someone's home you do not know.  While they are probably perfectly nice and respectable people, you cannot know that for sure and should not take the risk.  I would simply tell them you would be more comfortable meeting in a public place and suggest somewhere convenient for both of you.  If they get upset or try and talk you into meeting at their house WALK AWAY from this client.

I would meet them at a local Starbucks or other coffee house to talk and send them home with a "to-go" box of samples that they can open and try at their home. 

aaalfonso2000 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 5:55am
post #9 of 21

AK8memphis - What do you mean by be aware of potentially giving them a moment to discuss things some how? Should I not give them a moment to talk privately about the cake? I was going to also give them a couple I of samples to take with to enjoy after.

All - so, the smell of coffee and public place does not distract your clients?

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 10:55pm
post #10 of 21

Most brides are used to meeting wedding professionals at coffee shops these days, so they won't think it's weird. I would pack up the samples in a box for them to take with them, though. It's kind of tacky to take food out and eat it there IMO.

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 11:27pm
post #11 of 21

so if you're going to starbucks now--just say, let me give you a few minutes while i:

1. get another coffee
  2. go pee
  3. take a smoke break (whole new meaning in colorado) lol
  4. contact my bookie
  5. whatever ;)

just kidding about tmi in #2- 5  but srsly be aware that they might need a few minutes to discuss without you there so just excuse yourself for a few--

i mean at a certain time in the process--when it's getting down to decision time for them--they'll probably need a minute to discuss things--not always--

it's called drawing the net

-K8memphis Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 11:29pm
post #12 of 21

we were in st. helena ca on vacation and a florist was in the coffee house doing a wedding consult with a bride and her entourage--it was pretty cool 

Bakers Crush Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bakers Crush Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 11:33pm
post #13 of 21

Acontract!! take a contract!!!

aaalfonso2000 Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 5:32am
post #14 of 21

AThank you all so much for your help.

aaalfonso2000 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 21

What should the contract look like?

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 10:59pm
post #16 of 21

If you go to Google and type in the words wedding cake contract quite a few things pop up

aaalfonso2000 Posted 3 Feb 2014 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 21

Thank you. I am getting a bit nervous about it. I want to do everything right.

costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 4:30am
post #18 of 21

And make sure that you take the randomly googled wedding cake contract to an attorney who can tell you if it will or won't fly in your state. You have to word things in a certain way in different places to make sure it would stand up in court if it did end up there.

aaalfonso2000 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 5:53am
post #19 of 21

AIs that expensive to do? Just starting out, I want to make sure that I am doing everything right.

costumeczar Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 11:40am
post #20 of 21

A

Original message sent by aaalfonso2000

Is that expensive to do? Just starting out, I want to make sure that I am doing everything right.

It's less expensive than having someone sue you and have you end up paying their court costs. Chances are that wouldn't happen,but if you want to run a business you need to have everything in place before you start selling to the public. A well-written contract that outlines who's responsible for what payments when, who does what at the delivery, and who is responsible for what after the cake is set up and you leave will save a lot of headaches in the future.

aaalfonso2000 Posted 4 Feb 2014 , 12:13pm
post #21 of 21

AI guess I saw that comment coming. I do want to make sure that I do everything right. I suppose it doesn't help that I having a tasting set up for this Saturday.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%