On Site Assembly Vs Transporting Assembled

Decorating By kvand Updated 24 Jan 2014 , 11:07pm by -K8memphis

kvand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kvand Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 9:20am
post #1 of 3

AI apologize if this has been asked before. I didn't have any luck finding what i wanted to know....

Ive always been curious about this assembling on site business. (i rarely do a cake larger than 4 tiers and so I transport fully assembled and have never had a problem)

My question is...

When I assemble a tiered cake I usually "massage" the fondant of the upper tier down to touch and seal on the tier below. once the fondant is set this isnt possible so could not be done during delivery. The other question is what about fondant pearl boarders or cut out borders or fondant ribbon borders.... do you bring materials and do this on site? I'd love to hear how people do this.

Thanks!

2 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 3

I have never traveled with a fully assembled cake. Each tier is boxed and I set up on site. I use my kit to finish. This could take a while so I always build in extra time for this step. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 11:07pm
post #3 of 3

i delivered individual tiers that needed borders and typically i would pipe the dot borders after assembly--if i was going to add (fondant + modeling chocolate) pearl borders i'd make them in advance and get them in the correct circular pattern and that could be applied after assembly--

for ribbon borders i just applied the border before delivery and placed that cake on a larger cardboard circle--place all that in the delivery box--making sure nothing slid using the nubbley shelf liner--

for borderless cakes i'd place them on a smaller cardboard circle then a larger one 'cause that edge is a little more fragile than the ribbon border--and the smaller board gives you a little room there--

i mean you gotta be ready to do a little repair work if necessary--

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%