Gas/propane Oven Help!!!!!

Decorating By AivaCake Updated 24 Jan 2014 , 3:59am by hbquikcomjamesl

AivaCake Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 1:18am
post #1 of 2

Hey guys!  

I've been baking since '09 and I've pretty much mastered my recipes, degrees and times for my old oven.  Then we moved in October to our new house.  The whole house is equipped with propane and I thought I would love having a gas/propane oven.  As far as cooking on the oven top goes, i love it.  Baking, not so much.  I bake everything at 325, but it seems like the bottom of my cakes get way too dark.  I most definitely cannot bake ANY cake on the bottom rack or it will for sure burn and taste burnt. It sucks.  And makes for a lonngggg day of baking, too.  Any tips for this?!  The oven isn't very old, as the house was built in 2008, so its at the most 5 years old.  There's a speed bake cycle but I don't have the time to test a recipe that I don't plan on selling, yet haha.  I figured someone out there has some tips out there!  Thank you in advance!

1 reply
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 3:59am
post #2 of 2

ASpeaking as the son of a plumber:

Have your oven's thermostat calibrated with a professional-grade pyrometer, by somebody who knows how to use it.

That said, my oven is in reasonably good calibration, and I still find that for baked goods, everything works better as high in the cavity as possible, unless (as in Bisquick biscuits) I want to increase the browning of the crust.

Quote by @%username% on %date%