Will It Work???

Decorating By t4h3r4 Updated 24 Jan 2014 , 1:03am by BeesKnees578

t4h3r4 Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:22pm
post #1 of 5

AHello,

I want to attempt the upside down frosting technique to achieve that crisp edge on top of my cake which I don't seem to achieve by the normal "frosting with a spatula" technique. However all the tutorials I've come acroos on the Upside down method use ganach or SMBC and I'm not using either.

I'm using a simple all butter buttercream that I make by beating butter and icing sugar together. The ratio is 1 butter :2 Icing sugar. So will this frosting work with the Upside down method???

All help will be appreciated but I'd really like to hear from someone that has tried it with my type of buttercream.

Kind Regards

4 replies
morganchampagne Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 7:28pm
post #2 of 5

AIt will work with any all butter buttercream. The method relies on when you put it in the fridge the butter getting hard. The only ppl who have trouble are those whose icing is all shortening or majority shortening.

BeesKnees578 Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 8:43pm
post #3 of 5

I use a 50/50 mix of butter and shortening (gross I know, but the meringue buttercreams take me FOREVER to make and my customers LOVE my icing....so I do what works best) and I do this technique and it works just fine.

However, I don't do the whole upside down shizzz....I just put my cake on the board, fill and crumb coat.  Refrigerate.  Blob icing on top, push other round down on top.  Fill in sides and freeze for and hr or two.

I do get a few gaps on the top surface of the cake, which may have something to do with the turning it upside down part?  But i just swipe a little icing over it and viola!

t4h3r4 Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 5

AThank you for your prompt responses.

I'm going to give it go and see.

However could you tell me if I need to pop the cakeboard with the blob of icing in the fridge to stiffen it up before placing the cake on it as told in Jeff Arnett's tutorial? I'm asking because my buttercream is quite stiff to begin with. Also I'm planning to cover the cake with fondant afterwards so do I cover iced cake straight from the fridge or let it come to room temperature?

BeesKnees578 Posted 24 Jan 2014 , 1:03am
post #5 of 5

If your icing is pretty stiff, I would try it at room temp.  If it doesn't work, you can always try again.

Softer icing, I would fridge for a little bit.  Fresh thin coat on top of cake before putting on the blob so it sticks a little better.

Definitely cover the fondant while icing is cold....some mist with water so it sticks to the buttercream.  I do not mist and works great for me.  As the icing sweats a little from coming out of the fridge, it will make it's own condensation which will make the fondant stick.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%