How Do I Make Glitter Swirls On The Side Of A Cake?

Decorating By Stepmadlin Updated 19 Feb 2014 , 2:50pm by virago

Stepmadlin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Stepmadlin Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 10:57pm
post #1 of 12

AHi, I've got my first wedding cake to do this year and the girl wants a cake like this [ATTACHMENT=1468]image.jpg (90k. jpg file)[/ATTACHMENT]

She want glitter swirls on the sides of the cake but the icing is to be white with white swirls, starting darker and lighting as you go up the tiers. I was going to use wilton piping gel in white but I have two problems

1 I would need to mix or make my own silver gel for the bottom tier. Can I do this with dust and piping gel? Also, how do I apply it? With a brush?

2 I've read that piping gel doesn't dry. I'm concerned the cake may be bumped and the swirls damaged. Is this true?

Is this the best way to create this look or is there a better way? Also, she wants the swirls only half way up, to the second tier. Do you think this will look ok?

I really appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks Linda

11 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 11:07pm
post #2 of 12

Aare you doing Buttercream or Fondant?

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 11:12pm
post #3 of 12

is that glitter or sanding sugar? Looks like sanding sugar.... if it's sanding sugar, could you paint thinned royal icing on fondant and place the sanding sugar on it if you didn't want to use piping gel.  I think glitter would get all over the cake....

Stepmadlin Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 7:44am
post #4 of 12

AI'll be covering in fondant.

I've never heard of sanding sugar! How do you apply it? Just sprinkle it on the royal icing?

Thanks

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 7:53am
post #5 of 12

Ahttp://www.ask.com/question/what-is-sanding-sugar

Just google sanding sugar to get more information about it...

kazita Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 8:02am
post #6 of 12
Stepmadlin Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 12:38pm
post #8 of 12

AThanks so much everyone! Could I mix white and grey then to get different shades to make the colour change as I go up the cake from the bottom? Would this look ok?

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 3:40pm
post #9 of 12

Sanding sugar comes in all colors,  I have a silvery grayish bottle.  I read some where that someone applied swirls with gum glue, Sanding sugar will only stick to the "glue" or icing and stray  bits can be "dusted" off of fondant that is not sticky.  Glitter will adhere to everything.  I'm sure you could mix colors to get different shades.  People color their own sanding sugar with food coloring.  The sweet adventure of sugar belle has a tutorial on it  just google it . HTH!

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 4:14pm
post #10 of 12

I think @savannahquinn suggestion of gum glue is the way you want to go...

I used gum glue (aka edible glue made with tylose) to attach gold sparkling sugar 'specks' to this small practice cake, http://cakecentral.com/g/a/3352807/garish-baroque/...

the fondant dried smooth and the 'specks' were firmly attached.

for swirls, you would just paint the glue in the pattern that you wanted.

here's the recipe for the glue...

http://sweetopia.net/2009/09/how-to-make-edible-glue/

cake-mom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-mom Posted 18 Feb 2014 , 8:59pm
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by virago 

I think @savannahquinn suggestion of gum glue is the way you want to go...

I used gum glue (aka edible glue made with tylose) to attach gold sparkling sugar 'specks' to this small practice cake, http://cakecentral.com/g/a/3352807/garish-baroque/...

the fondant dried smooth and the 'specks' were firmly attached.

for swirls, you would just paint the glue in the pattern that you wanted.

here's the recipe for the glue...

http://sweetopia.net/2009/09/how-to-make-edible-glue/

Nice job. 

One question though ... how did you apply the sanding sugar to the side of the cake?  I know you said you painted the glue in the pattern you wanted but then how did you apply the sanding sugar to the glue?   How did you get the excess off everything else (top and board, etc)?

Do you (or anyone else on the thread) think it would work on buttercream as well?

virago Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
virago Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 2:50pm
post #12 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by cake-mom 

Nice job. 

One question though ... how did you apply the sanding sugar to the side of the cake?  I know you said you painted the glue in the pattern you wanted but then how did you apply the sanding sugar to the glue?   How did you get the excess off everything else (top and board, etc)?

Do you (or anyone else on the thread) think it would work on buttercream as well?

for this cake I did not care about doing a pattern...I simply painted glue over the surface and placed the individual sugar sparkles where I wanted them, then allowed the glue to dry. 

if I were doing a pattern with sanding sugar I would start with a plain fondant covered cake and board, paint the pattern with the glue, then shake the sanding sugar over the painted surface. the sanding sugar would only stick to the painted glue, the excess sugar would fall off. hope that makes sense.

I do not know if it would work with buttercream...   

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%