Mixer Reviews

Decorating By jramjam Updated 23 Jan 2014 , 5:17pm by jramjam

jramjam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jramjam Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 9:46pm
post #1 of 12

Hi!  Can you talented folks give me your thoughts on Kitchenaid stand mixers?  I'm shopping for one and I'm choosing between the Artisan tilt head, and the Pro Bowl lift.  What's the best choice?  I'm only a newbie hobbyist...

11 replies
ChiCakeLady75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiCakeLady75 Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 12

I've been doing cakes for about 5 years now. I have 3 of the kitchenaid stand mixers: the Artisan 5 quart tilt-head, the 6 quart pro bowl lift, and the 7 quart pro bowl lift. All 3 of them get the job done but I always pick the tilt-head over the bowl lift. I just feel like they're more convenient to use!

jramjam Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 6:09pm
post #3 of 12

Oh my gosh!  Thank you for your speedy reply!  I have read that about the tilt head.  I think that's the direction I'm going to go.  Thanks again!

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 7:01pm
post #4 of 12

AAs a hobbyist, you might do just fine with the 5qt tilt head. But keep in mind bowl capacity. It's a bit harder to double a batch of cake or icing in a 5qt, than a 6. I work with both tilt and bowl lift at work, and you get used to either one.

jramjam Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 12

Thank you!  Gosh, I didn't even think about doubling recipes.  Do you find that the 1 qt difference really helps when you double?  

ChiCakeLady75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChiCakeLady75 Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 7:58pm
post #6 of 12

I double my cake recipes and frostings all the time in the 5qt without a problem. I actually am even able to triple my cake mix recipe in the 5qt! 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 8:02pm
post #7 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by jramjam 

Thank you!  Gosh, I didn't even think about doubling recipes.  Do you find that the 1 qt difference really helps when you double?  

Yes.

jramjam Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiCakeLady75 

I double my cake recipes and frostings all the time in the 5qt without a problem. I actually am even able to triple my cake mix recipe in the 5qt! 

Oh wow!  Thank you!  This really helps me alot.

IAmPamCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IAmPamCakes Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 12:10am
post #9 of 12

AYes. 1 quart makes a difference. I can double some recipes, but not all of them. If my bowl gets too full, some ingredients don't always get incorporated well enough. You would be amazed at the difference it can make.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 1:20am
post #10 of 12

In my opinion, the kitchen aid brand is a little over rated. I definitely agree about the tilt head being preferable. I would get a mixer with the biggest bowl I could afford. For my small mixer I use this hamilton beach commercial grade 7 qt mixer. It's ugly, but easier to clean and more heavy duty ... and the head tilts back. Last time I checked it's about $100 less expensive than it's kitchen aid counterpart which I believe doesn't have a tilt back head.

So a decision has to be made on whether the purpose of the mixer is to match your pot holders or be utilitarian. If you're comparing less expensive home style models of the kitchen aids, I imagine there are also cheaper alternative brands.  Also, as far as I know, kitchen aid mixers are no longer commercial grade (made to last) the way they used to be, other than the one I mentioned which is specifically labeled commercial (not professional or artisan). I wouldn't stake my life on that, so maybe double check. The commercial kitchen aid is 8 qt, btw.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 22 Jan 2014 , 1:22am
post #11 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by IAmPamCakes 

Yes. 1 quart makes a difference. I can double some recipes, but not all of them. If my bowl gets too full, some ingredients don't always get incorporated well enough. You would be amazed at the difference it can make.

It definitely does and it's 20% more

jramjam Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 5:17pm
post #12 of 12

Thanks everyone!  Lots of good advice.  I really appreciate it!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%