Royal Icing Question!

Decorating By Swanetta Updated 20 Jan 2014 , 9:49pm by Swanetta

Swanetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swanetta Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 3

AHi guys, can anyone tell me if it's possible to put royal icing on a chocolate cake? it's for a wedding cake and I'm having serious doubts about this being possible! help??

2 replies
Dayti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dayti Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 9:36pm
post #2 of 3

Do you mean ice the cake with royal icing entirely? If so, yes you can, but you would be better off starting with a marzipan layer first, like a fruit cake. Icing it straight onto the sponge would be pretty impossible, and even royal icing onto chocolate ganache would be tricky too I think. Royal icing on sponge/marzipan is not usually done, but it can be done. 

Swanetta Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swanetta Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 9:49pm
post #3 of 3

Aooooh, thanks so much! I really just wasnt sure if it was possible, it does sound kinda gross to me, but it's what a friend of mine wants....I mean, I'm really just worried about how long the choc cake will keep, as I know in general fruit cakes with marzipan and royal icing keep for ages, and are made and iced ages before they're needed...so......., do you think making it a prune and armagnac cake would help preserve the choc cake a bit better/keep it moist?! thanks again for the reply :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%