Is It Safe To Use Chalk To Decorate A Cake?

Decorating By Jennifer8038 Updated 26 Jan 2014 , 1:55am by Jennifer8038

Jennifer8038 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jennifer8038 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 6:45pm
post #1 of 8

I have not made many cakes but have decided to make my sons first birthday cake. I was orginally planning to put fondant on fondant, but as I was researching how to handle fondant last night came across chalk being used on fondant and was wondering if the chalk is safe to eat and do I just buy chalk like kids chalk Crayola?

7 replies
scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 6:58pm
post #2 of 8

You can buy non toxic chalk, some people use it to make their own petal dusts. However, that is for elements that will not be eaten.

Non toxic does not = edible. There are no food-safety standards practiced when producing it, and the ingredients are not meant to be ingested. Non toxic pretty much means it can come in contact with food and not kill you.

A lot of people do use it on edible bits, and they have great arguments supporting the practice, like, "It hasn't killed anyone yet", lol.

If it's for personal use, I'd say use your own discretion. I'm totally guilty of using disco dust on a few things for myself. My personal standards and my client standards are a wee bit different :P

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 8:21pm
post #3 of 8

Not sure for what purpose you'd want to use chalk on fondant [it can be used as petal dust to color flowers, or other decorative elements, that won't be eaten], but there's likely an edible alternative [like food coloring, edible markers, or food grade/edible dusts].

Jennifer8038 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 8

edible markers? Could you tell me where I may be able to find these at. And thank you so much!

dawnybird Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dawnybird Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 9:32pm
post #5 of 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jennifer8038 

edible markers? Could you tell me where I may be able to find these at. And thank you so much!

My WalMart carries them. Or you can certainly find them at Hobby Lobby or Michael's in the cake decorating section.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 8
Jennifer8038 Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 7:47pm
post #7 of 8

Everyone on this forum has been so amazing thank yall so very much

Jennifer8038 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 1:55am
post #8 of 8

A[IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3173682/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

It was not perfect but it was okay thanks everyone for your help

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%