Cricut Cake. Worth The Buy Or Not?

Decorating By brandisims125 Updated 12 Dec 2016 , 6:31pm by Cuddly14ever

brandisims125 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brandisims125 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 1:26am
post #1 of 15

I was thinking about purchasing a Cricut Cake. How many of you have one and how well do you like it? I would also like to know if it will stand up to homemade fondants/gumpastes. Just need some input before I make the purchase. Thanks!

14 replies
Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 2:09am
post #2 of 15

I have had one for about 2 yrs and I've only used it once.  I'm not a fan. I use MMF and didn't think it worked very well with it.  I tried a couple of different things but never got a very clean cut.

BeesKnees578 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeesKnees578 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 2:26am
post #3 of 15

If you have a regular Cricut, you can move the rubber feeders that are on the metal bar aside and use a deep blade.  I only used mine once to try it.  It was a bit tricky, but I was winging it.  I had no clue (as I do now) about the tricks that make the Cricut work more easily. 

What I would most likely want to use it for is fonts.  I hate using the same tappits on everything and I stink at writing by hand!  Well, that and silhouettes!

810whitechoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
810whitechoc Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 9:02am
post #4 of 15

I was given one for my birthday 3 years ago, I used it a couple of times and now it is gathering dust in the back of a cupboard.

erin2345 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erin2345 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 4:46pm
post #5 of 15

Totally not worth it!!  It is IMPOSSIBLE to make it work like it is supposed to. For my sanity I keep it hidden away in the basement.  You are better off ordering $400 (or whatever they sell it for now) worth of custom cookie cutters.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 5:42pm
post #6 of 15

ANo, no, no no, no, no no! The only thing I ever use it for is to cut out wafer paper stuff. And even that isn't often. Not worth the price or the effort to learn it or the storage space it takes up.

Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 6:01pm
post #7 of 15

This sounds like the mat which I'm still trying to give away if anyone coming to Paris wants it!

cakechemist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakechemist Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 1:02am
post #8 of 15

AThey've discontinued the Cricut cake machines. I use mine for cutting Wilton sugar sheets into fancy fonts to accent cakes. This way you get very neat lettering in any size you want, I've cut block lettering as small as 1/2 inch tall. The "undesirable" taste of the sugar paper (I personally don't find it has any taste) is not noticeable because it's only a small section, or it can be removed before eating. Cutting fondant and gum paste with the Cricut is quite difficult and not as smooth as they show in the photos, but it is possible. If you do a lot of font work (and can't pipe in a straight line to save your life, like me) and see one on sale (or from someone that hates it) I'd pick one up. All of the cartridges from the regular machine will work on the cake machine and vice versa, so you can likely get started without spending a fortune and share cartridges with any "scrappers" (scrapbookers) you know.

Louise Sandy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Louise Sandy Posted 21 Jan 2014 , 1:39am
post #9 of 15

I considered this but ended up getting the Silhouette Cameo instead and I'm so pleased - it is better on every level!

Kathy107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathy107 Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 15

I don't have a Cricut.  But Wayne from Swank Cake Design has a video tutorial on Sharon Zambito's on-line school.  The video was very good.

WhimsyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WhimsyCakes Posted 23 Jan 2014 , 9:51pm
post #11 of 15

I have the Cricut Cake and while it's definitely a love/hate relationship, I still use it.  You cannot use homemade MM fondant at all. I have found that Wilton gum paste works if rolled out nice and thin but is still pretty tricky. The sugar sheets work nicely most of the time as well. The key to avoiding frustration is simply changing out the blade fairly often. As soon as it starts to rip up my design, I change the blade asap!

I love that you can use any of the Cricut cartridges for your designs.  I have some scrapbooking cartridges that I often use on cake designs (I also have the Cricut scrapbooking machine)

Since the Cricut Cake is discontinued I would try to buy one from someone who doesn't like or use theirs before I would spend the full amount just in case you end up not liking it.  I still like mine and will continue to use it and if you have patience I highly recommend it!! I've made some great scroll designs that I wouldn't have been able to free-hand, and as others have said, I use it a LOT for fonts since I can't pipe nice handwriting to save my life.

roxylee123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
roxylee123 Posted 25 Jan 2014 , 7:12pm
post #12 of 15

I like in the uk and this is my first time posting on cc so hi to everyone.I have the cricut cake and i love love love it and have had great results. I use store bought fondant and add tylose to it then wrap it in cling film and put in and airtight container overnight then roll thinly onto the mat that has been greased with a little trex leave for 5 mins then put in the machine and cut.

Here are some of the cakes i've made using my cricut cake.

skip7910 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skip7910 Posted 23 May 2014 , 2:29am
post #13 of 15

I have the Cricut Cake Cutter and the first time I used it I used too much shortening on the mat but, I started over and used less shortening and it worked good. I am glad to see that the Wilton sugar sheets can be used. That is easier than rolling out fondant.

skip7910 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skip7910 Posted 23 May 2014 , 2:30am
post #14 of 15

You need for your fondant to be really thin.

Cuddly14ever Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cuddly14ever Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 6:31pm
post #15 of 15

I have the Cricut cake and 3 other cricuts. I loved my Cake it was my first cricut ever... I purchased the 12 X 12 cutting mats and new blades and it worked great for cutting paper. I slowly stopped using all my cricuts together and because mixed media. Now I am into 3D Builds and home de'core I no longer need any of my Machines and I am selling my Cricut cake wich comes with 3 cartridges ( Cake Basics, Birthday Cake, and Elegant cakes) for $125

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%