What To Charge

Business By jenjen14 Updated 19 Jan 2014 , 3:30am by MommyMommy

jenjen14 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenjen14 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 8:42am
post #1 of 18

AHi all, I am new to cake decorating and just make cakes at home for friends and family. I recently made this cake for a friend and out of curiosity I am wondering what people would charge for this cake? The flowers were hand made also. [IMG]http://cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3169434/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Cheers :)

17 replies
jenjen14 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:02am
post #2 of 18

AP.S be easy on me, first time making flowers and the third time using fondant.

OMGOMG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:34am
post #3 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by jenjen14 

Hi all,
I am new to cake decorating and just make cakes at home for friends and family. I recently made this cake for a friend and out of curiosity I am wondering what people would charge for this cake? The flowers were hand made also.

Cheers icon_smile.gif

That is really good! I bet there are people who would pay $5-$6 a serving for that cake.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:48am
post #4 of 18

AIt's very clean, very good!

Your piping needs work, cover a cookie sheet with parchment or Saran wrap and practice your writing-or even print out a template and cover so your letters are closer in size.

I would use a fondant plaque, banner, or tappits until you get better at piping. I mean no disrespect! It just draws my attention away from your lovely cake.

Also, a light box (or a backdrop) will really show off your cake. Anyway, it's good you have natural talent.

You need to let us know the tier sizes if you want a general idea of what others would charge.

Here are a couple other sites that you might find helpful:

http://www.acaketorememberva.blogspot.com/

http://www.earlenescakes.com/Index2.html

Cupadeecakes.blogspot.com

jenjen14 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:01am
post #5 of 18

Acheers for the feedback. I agree with the writing, it was a last minute late night addition. Photo was taken with an iphone at the birthday party. I should look into a light box , I do not know a lot about photography so will have to do some research.

jenjen14 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:04am
post #6 of 18

Ap.s from memory I think the tier sizes were 10" and 8"

Smckinney07 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:34pm
post #7 of 18

A$340 plus delivery

I wasn't trying to be rude, just constructive because it looks good.

There are some articles about photography on the Craftsy blog. I am bad about taking pictures before the cakes leave my house!

Just a simple backdrop can make your cake standout, you don't want any attention pulled away from your cake. That's all I meant.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 3:55pm
post #8 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

I wasn't trying to be rude, just constructive...  

You worry way too much. Who said you were rude? Have you been getting nasty PM's? (Don't answer these - just rhetorical questions!) Your comments are always well thought-out and pleasant.

h0mesweeth0me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h0mesweeth0me Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 4:50pm
post #9 of 18

ASmckinney- how did you come to that number?i am also new. I love cake decorating, but haven't sold any yet. Would other people agree with that price?

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 5:28pm
post #10 of 18

Cost varies quite a bit depending upon the area in which you live.

A cake like that would cost more in San Fransisco than it would here in Louisville, Kentucky.

*I* would charge $4.75 per serving for it @ 62 servings comes out to $294.50, then I would also charge my delivery fee.

But this price is  based on cost of ingredients (In my area), the market in my area, and all that jazz.

jenjen14 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:09pm
post #11 of 18

ASmckinney - I didn't think you were rude at all

OMGOMG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OMGOMG Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 9:13pm
post #12 of 18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smckinney07 

$340 plus delivery

I wasn't trying to be rude, just constructive because it looks good.

There are some articles about photography on the Craftsy blog. I am bad about taking pictures before the cakes leave my house!

Just a simple backdrop can make your cake standout, you don't want any attention pulled away from your cake. That's all I meant.

I thot you been saying no one can say a price for sumone's cake? But what are you doing? 

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:04pm
post #13 of 18

A

Original message sent by OMGOMG

I thot you been saying no one can say a price for sumone's cake? But what are you doing? 

Who is "sumone"? I don't see anyone here that goes by that name.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:24pm
post #14 of 18

A

Original message sent by as you wish

Who is "sumone"? I don't see anyone here that goes by that name.

Was having a bad day today but you really made me laugh

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:27pm
post #15 of 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by OMGOMG 

Don't pick on Smckinney. Happens here all the time. Annoying, isn't it?  

Smckinney07 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 2:00am
post #16 of 18

AThanks Mimi! Some people get so worked up, it's exhausting lol

HomeSweet-Search through some of the pricing threads, that should give you some insight. Jason Kraft (another CC member) has a good blog that talks about pricing and business in general (I think it's JasonKraftBlogspot.wordpress the link is in his signature line which you'll find he posts often). There are also some pricing matrix's that will give you a place to start.

That would be a basic fondant cake so $5/serving plus $30 for the flowers (basic flavors with no special fillings). It took me a while to get my pricing structure together. I had to cost out the price of my recipes, support systems (boards, dowels, or sps), boxes, fondant, etc. all those things are included, ingredients and overhead. Then I have to account for my time & complexity of the design, that's why I said this would be a 'basic' fondant cake-it won't take long.

That's the most important step, when it comes to pricing & starting a business. You need as much experience as possible so you can look at a design and be able to estimate how long it will take you to complete, otherwise you end up undercharging. It's an expensive hobby! I understand the desire to be compensated & wanting to jump into business. I don't like the idea of learning a new technique on someone's wedding (or any event for that matter) cake. Don't get me wrong, there are still instances where a cake takes me much longer then anticipated, and I kick myself for it but that happens. I practice a lot on cake dummy's and try to keep up with new trends while improving older ones.

OMG-I did say no one can tell you how much to charge for your cakes, that's true. I don't know what your ingredients cost, supplies, skill level, what cakes go for in your area...

Jen asked how much we would charge if making that cake. She, unlike you, wants help. You seem to enjoy starting drama.

jenjen14 Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 3:12am
post #17 of 18

Awhat would basic fillings and flavours be? vanilla with buttercream? would you say flavours like salted caramel and raspberry fillings not basic and therefore charge a bit extra?

MommyMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyMommy Posted 19 Jan 2014 , 3:30am
post #18 of 18

wow  So impressive and third time w fondant? geez!  great job.  and i think your piping looked better than mine would too.  but love the practice and template pointers!  I will try covering up a printout sometime - fyi when I was pricing cakes 2 years ago for my daughter ... many charged at least $3.00 - $5 a slice (before discussing extra for fancy Flavors etc.)  I think $3.00 was starting for buttercream, Fondant was more.  I was shocked by the sticker price (prior to committing), but paid what she charged as it was her business - and i'm from the old school... if you want something you pay for it.  Not gimme or complain after and expect something for nothing. ;)

And I'd pay again for that cake - it was yummy and pretty.  couldn't get the same elsewhere!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%