Brides Flaking On My Tastings.

Business By jenmat Updated 28 Jan 2014 , 11:55pm by costumeczar

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 1:23pm
post #61 of 68

A

Original message sent by DeliciousDesserts

That would be a correlation not causation.

People not understanding the difference drives me crazy. The latest is the "diet soda makes you fat" thing. They did the most recent study showing that people who are already obese or overweight drink more diet soda and eat more calories, but people who are normal weight don't. The authors of the study clearly said in the results that this doesn't show a causal relationship, just a link in behavior. But all the news stations are saying that it says drinking diet soda makes you eat more. The people were ALREADY OVERWEIGHT for pete's sake. I guarantee you that if all I ate was diet soda I would lose weight like a supermodel trying out for Sports Illustrated.

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 1:52pm
post #62 of 68

ADiet pop doesn't make anyone fat. Eating too much, eating the wrong things and not enough exercise makes people fat.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 20 Jan 2014 , 3:16pm
post #63 of 68

Have you heard about the Wedding Cake Diet? It's all the rage. Eat one Wilton-sized piece of wedding cake once a day, plus 5 glasses water throughout the day. Nothing else. Lose 5 pounds your first week! I've heard that people are ordering 7 slices of wedding cake and they're not even getting married.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 2:38am
post #64 of 68

I find this whole tasting experience confusing, and I just booked my first one!! I am going to do it on the go, meet her and give her the cake/fillings she likes.

So...I already screwed up. I thought that I would be giving her cake slices, with cakes/filling combos she already likes. It seems like you guys give them a piece of dry cake, with separate frostings and fillings. Someone above had posted a picture with about 7 frostings and 7 fillings. How do you make all of those for one tasting?? Seems like a huge time suck. Can anyone explain how you do the prep for the tasting?? I get the part of making 6 inch cakes or cupcakes and freezing them. But how do you make all those fillings and frostings for a tasting for one person??

Thank you,

Nancy

costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 4:14am
post #65 of 68

Quote:

Originally Posted by nancylee61 

I find this whole tasting experience confusing, and I just booked my first one!! I am going to do it on the go, meet her and give her the cake/fillings she likes.

So...I already screwed up. I thought that I would be giving her cake slices, with cakes/filling combos she already likes. It seems like you guys give them a piece of dry cake, with separate frostings and fillings. Someone above had posted a picture with about 7 frostings and 7 fillings. How do you make all of those for one tasting?? Seems like a huge time suck. Can anyone explain how you do the prep for the tasting?? I get the part of making 6 inch cakes or cupcakes and freezing them. But how do you make all those fillings and frostings for a tasting for one person??

Thank you,

Nancy

I combine the cake and fillings, not everyone does them separately. I tried doing them separately once and it took a lot longer and confused people. I do three basic flavors, chocolate, vanilla and almond, and then one fruit flavor, usually lemon or strawberry. That gives them a range of varieties to taste to see what my cake is like, and I don't have to make a bunch ahead of time to freeze them, since I don't freeze anything anyway.

costumeczar Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 4:15am
post #66 of 68

I also schedule all of my tastings at one time a month, or over one weekend, so that I only have to bake for them once.

nancylee61 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nancylee61 Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 4:27am
post #67 of 68

Thank you!! That makes life a lot easier!!
nancy

costumeczar Posted 28 Jan 2014 , 11:55pm
post #68 of 68

And another update...I had two more people book from the open house format, and three out of four from the private appointments that they had to pay for have booked so far. And I don't apply the cost of the appointment to the final cost of the cake, either, so that isn't putting people off. It's interesting because three years ago I don't think that would have worked, but now people don't seem to think that paying for an appointment is strange.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%