Using Foam Core For The First Time

Decorating By Gerle Updated 17 Jan 2014 , 5:12am by Gerle

Gerle Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:28pm
post #1 of 8

I'm making my first two tier cake and am using foam core under both tiers.  I've never used foam core for anything before and have a few questions.  I'm assuming the foam core needs to be covered, but do you cover it with the same aluminium-type paper you can get at cake supply stores (I also get clear plastic that goes over the aluminum), or is it covered with something else?  I appreciate any help any of you can give me.

7 replies
Smckinney07 Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:52pm
post #2 of 8

AI've seen people use foamcore plain, thats what i used to do but I'm not sure it's really food safe though (I use the grease proof corrugated boards now).

I've also seen people wrap them in plastic or fancy foil (not regular foil), and some will place a round of wax/parchment paper on top to create a barrier of sorts between the cake & board.

I can't tell you what's 'right', id rather use parchment or even plastic then foil but that's just me-I'd worry about a piece coming off (however unlikely).

As long as its clean, food safe & won't absorb much you should be fine. Hopefully, someone with more insight will chime in.

Gerle Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:53pm
post #3 of 8

I tried to edit my first post but it said I didn't have permission to edit it, so will add info here.  I did read a few posts on the Wilton site and they recommended the "fancy foil" and clear plastic as I mentioned previously.  Someone else, not on the Wilton site, said to cover the boards with just self-stick plastic wrap.  What I'm really trying to find out is what is best to use?  I'm a little leery of one or the other shredding when the cake is cut and getting into the cake.  The cake I'm making is for a boy who is going through cancer treatment and I have to be very careful of what the cake is on to make sure there's no contamination, so I want to make sure the board is covered with something that won't be easy to cut when cutting the cake.

CherriesonTop Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:53pm
post #4 of 8

I only use foam core under the bottom tier (I use a cake board for other tiers) and when I do I cover it with a thin layer of fondant and put a ribbon around the edge

Gerle Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:55pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks, Smckinney.  That's what I'm afraid of is a piece coming off since it's for a young boy who's being treated for cancer.  I don't want anything to come off by being cut that could harm him.

Smckinney07 Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 9:05pm
post #6 of 8

AJust use parchment then, if you want to use something and make sure you tell whoever is cutting to remove. A parchment round will be difficult to miss :)

maybenot Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 3:52am
post #7 of 8

I use foamcore for all of my cake boards. 

I cut the board, clean it using vanilla extract or clear drinking alcohol [vodka, Everclear, gin, or white rum], let it dry, and then smear on a very thin coat of melted edible soy wax [Golden Blends 415 that I got from Ebay:]. 

I just melt it in the microwave. 

Works just like a waxed cake board, but sturdier.

Gerle Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 5:12am
post #8 of 8

Maybenot, thanks for the info.  I may have to try that out if I can get it in time for this cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%