Underbaked .where Did I Go Wrong???? :(

Decorating By newcakepassion Updated 17 Jan 2014 , 12:32am by -K8memphis

newcakepassion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakepassion Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:20pm
post #1 of 7

AHi all, I today tried baking a cranberry orange bread,followed recipe ,except for one change. As i had no cranberry in hand i added raisins. All set n the cake is supposed to bake for 45-55mins. To my dismay my toothpick cmes clean ,conplete clean in ten mins n the cake is raw !!! Hve attached the pics ! Plz hlp..where did i go wrong??? It was supposed to b a surprise for hubby n now i hve no cake

6 replies
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:28pm
post #2 of 7

Quote:

Originally Posted by newcakepassion 
All set n the cake is supposed to bake for 45-55mins.
To my dismay my toothpick cmes clean ,conplete clean in ten mins n the cake is raw !!!

bake for 45 mins & it's only baked for 10.  really

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:30pm
post #3 of 7

AI'm not sure I understand, did you take it out at 10 minutes, instead of 45-55 minutes? Or it was in the full time before the toothpick came out clean?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:31pm
post #4 of 7

quick breads are different than cake--so did you maybe over mix this? did you bake it in the recommended size pan?

the raisin/cranberry switch is a non factor--

toothpick completely clean in ten minutes and it's supposed to bake for 45? --there's a clue

(((big hug)))

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 7

1)  Is it a bread or a cake?  Breads are usually baked in a loaf pan.  Timing is going to be different if you have a batter meant for a 9x5 loaf in an 8 inch square.

2)  Why on earth would you be testing it at the 10 minute mark?  If its meant to be in the oven for 45 min (which is normal for a loaf), even in a square pan you wouldn't be testing much before 30 minutes.

3)  What temperature did the recipe ask for? and what temperature did you use?

4)  It looks like your cake/bread has 'sad streaks' which could be a result of undermixing, improper incorporation of your liquids, or any number of things.

5)  It could just be a crappy recipe--not all recipes are created equal.  Sad but true.

newcakepassion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newcakepassion Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 11:18pm
post #6 of 7

AHi all, Thanx for all ur valuable inputs.. Well to answer one ques dat all of u have---the reason i had to test it in ten mins is coz i started smelling the usual strong cake smell dat emits when a cake is done.so confused i had to check n this is what i found

It is a quick bread recipe. Recommended temp was 350F n i used the same temp.

As i did nt hve the loaf pan i used a 8inch square pan.

Thanx

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 12:29am
post #7 of 7

ahh--quick breads need that heat surrounding them in the narrow pans where the heat can penetrate more efficiently like bundt type pans too--they are too dense for a pan that is wide like an 8x8--

bummer --but you can take at least half of each piece and make something else out of that--make cubes of the cooked part and toss together a small bread pudding--

you could freeze the gummy part and grate it frozen and spread it out on a pan and try & toast it in the oven--see how that goes--maybe add it to the bread pudding or use it to make struesel topping by adding some butter and cinnamon & a little flour--or add to cookie dough or eat on a spoon when you need a sugar fix--or it might be un-redeemable--but you can try maybe--

i've always heard that brownies were a flopped chocolate cake so...flops just can't be all bad huh--time to innovate -- plus you have a good nose for baking! so keep up the good work --it was an equipment failure--you did great under the circumstances

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%