Competition Advice

Decorating By kaylatrahan Updated 17 Jan 2014 , 3:54am by Elcee

kaylatrahan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaylatrahan Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 3:49pm
post #1 of 10

Competition curiosity.... 

I am entering a competition in a month and a half and for the wedding cake division I am thinking of doing a cake with wafer paper ruffles. Has anyone done a cake in advanced with wafer paper and let it sit out? Will it dry up and crack?

Also, I absolutely love modern minimalist wedding cakes with a few things here and there, but it seems that the more ornate wedding cakes tend to win. Have you found this to be true in your experience?

I am also considering having a portion of my show cake spin electronically. How do you think judges will take this? Will this be considered as another skill? Or is having a portion of the cake rotate too over the top?

Thanks!

KAYLA

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 10

on www.earlenescakes.com she has some competition tips that are classic--so maybe try that--

and it just kind of depends on the judge and on the competition rules --electronically means no electric cord right? because that might not be offered--gotta use batteries probably--

i think that the judges are looking for over the top skills displayed in an over the top spell binding visually voluptuous cake not just looking for your personal good taste in cakes-- one that rises above the others --

it needs to be a show stopper--minimal can be that i think but it's gotta be bombastic minimal--

story for you--early on when cake challenges were just introduced on food tv network colette beat out mike mccarey--mike had a sleek clean amazing flawless chocolate square cake--the edges were mitered-- are you kidding me--minimal but overwhelming skill involved--colette won with her signature style--i thought at the time that  both she and mike were amazed by this outcome but i mean they are both world class super amazing decorators--i was amazed that hers won over mike's because his was so technical--

but that might be an indicator for you too--

kaylatrahan Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:01pm
post #3 of 10

Thanks for the advice! No, it actually wouldn't be battery, but the competition states that electricity is available if you make arrangements for it, so that's what I have done.

I will look at the link you provided, thanks again!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:07pm
post #4 of 10

I haven't done wafer paper ruffles but many people have done wafer paper feathers on the outside of cakes so I assume ruffles would be fine.  Consider using them along with other details that show off your skills.   Give Earlene's tips a good read as well as your competition rules.

Good luck :)

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:13pm
post #5 of 10

you could do wafer paper ruffles but it will be pretty time-consuming to get them to look like fabric. It can be done but there's a learning curve about how to use the stuff.

As far as the embellished vs plain thing goes, my personal opinion is that paying customers like the more understated designs, but cake decorators like the busy ones. Just my opinion.

kaylatrahan Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 7:01pm
post #6 of 10

Thank you all so much for your thoughtful responses! I will definitely take this all into consideration :)

KAYLA 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 7:10pm
post #7 of 10

would love to see pictures--but no pressure--zero

best of the best to you--listen to earlene! i didn't hahaha

i'm the 'don't do this' example she writes about :lol: 

kaylatrahan Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 10

I will post pictures after the competition, regardless of how they turn out! lol and I am going to basically do every technique I have never even attempted8O This is a learning experience, but it would be nice to walk away with something :) My toughest battle is originality. Once I see a design I love, it STICKS in my head!! Literally, I cant get it out or get around it! So I have found multiple techniques I love and I will attempt to throw them all together :)

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 7:36pm
post #9 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylatrahan 

... I am going to basically do every technique I have never even attempted8O This is a learning experience, but it would be nice to walk away with something :) My toughest battle is originality. Once I see a design I love, it STICKS in my head!! Literally, I cant get it out or get around it! So I have found multiple techniques I love and I will attempt to throw them all together :)

hahahaha THIS ^^^ is exactly what earlene, cake decorator supreme, says NOT to do that i did too even though i read it!

*:-)/\:-) high five

it's just part of the symptoms and delirious fever that is being a caker

and

about originality

y'know the thread here about the completely awesome upside down chandelier cake--

well mike mccarey made one years ago--

just saying don't beat yourself up about that 'gotta be different than anything else ever' -- (another symptom ;)

sure being 1000% original is a nice marketing tool but no it's not possible 100% of the time it's not possible a fraction of the time

original painting sure--but cakes are cakes--we stack 'em up we dress 'em up--done

can't wait to see what you come up with!!

best to you

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 3:54am
post #10 of 10

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaylatrahan 

Competition curiosity.... 

I am entering a competition in a month and a half and for the wedding cake division I am thinking of doing a cake with wafer paper ruffles. Has anyone done a cake in advanced with wafer paper and let it sit out? Will it dry up and crack?

Also, I absolutely love modern minimalist wedding cakes with a few things here and there, but it seems that the more ornate wedding cakes tend to win. Have you found this to be true in your experience?

I am also considering having a portion of my show cake spin electronically. How do you think judges will take this? Will this be considered as another skill? Or is having a portion of the cake rotate too over the top?

Thanks!

KAYLA

If you go minimalist on a competition cake, it has to be perfect. Minimal leaves nowhere to hide. Part of the scores in competitions often involve number of techniques used, that's why you see a lot of busy cakes. They all have to meld and work together, though, not be random looking. As for the rotating element, as long as it's not gratuitous, it should be fine. The judging is SO subjective, though, that it's impossible to predict. I've heard of a well-known decorator who hates a certain color and if she's judging, and your cake is that color, you can kiss a win goodbye.

Ruth Rickey has lots of good competition advice on her blog http://sugarzen.wordpress.com/ . Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%