Can I Make Crown Out Of Mc, Not Gumpaste?

Decorating By AmbitiousBeginner Updated 16 Jan 2014 , 1:10pm by Smckinney07

AmbitiousBeginner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmbitiousBeginner Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 7

For my daughter's 3rd birthday, I want to make a princess crown to top the pink cake.  From what I've read, it seems that the crowns are made of gumpaste.  But I know that she will want to eat it, so...can I make it out of white modeling chocolate?  

...or will that just fall apart when I try to have it stand alone on the cake?  I was thinking of making one out of mc and one out of gumpaste, but that would take twice as long and I don't have time for that because I have to make two other cakes because we're combining three birthdays into 1 party...so if I run out of time, I might be contributing to the worst cake thread!

If anyone has done it, or knows if it's possible, I would appreciate your input.

TIA

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 7

what i do is put cornstarch into fondant--this stiffens it up as much as you want--as i posted recently i once make a nurse's cap with wings--y'know all folded up and  gravity defying and i immediately walked it out to the serving table and placed it on the cake as peeps were lining up to be served -- all went well--

so over time it can also dry nice & crisp and i add raspberry oil and i love to eat it--it's great candy when it's dried out--can be done this way--

could also combine mc + fondant--

i'd be a little concerned about just straight mc but that is also possible i'm sure--it just wouldn't be my first choice--

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 7

AModeling chocolate made to the right consistency is fine, but where I live, it's liable to wilt during deliver because of the heat. This time of year, it would be fine. In my opinion, modeling chocolate or fondant is never fit to eat. Maybe a child would like it. And obviously K8 above can eat it, but to me, it's just not good. And to save anyone the trouble, it's not because I haven't tried homemade fondant or used expensive fine chocolate.

And the most awful taste, to me is mixing modeling chocolate with fondant. Others will disagree.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:02pm
post #4 of 7

AMy modeling chocolate turn out pretty soft. I don't think it'd make a very sturdy crown. You could just make it out of candy melts though. Print out or draw a flat crown template. Pipe your design on waxed paper following the template. Lay the waxed paper over a curved surface (a glass, a cake pan, etc) until the candy sets.

I like mercken's candy melts. Wilton's don't taste as good as they used to. But sugar is sugar to a kid. :)

Ps...I think there was a royal icing tiara tutorial on here recently. I'll try to find it. Using candy melts will be simpler, in my opinion, but heck, you could try your hand at royal too! it'd be the same waxed paper technique. Just a longer drying time.

Sassyzan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sassyzan Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:04pm
post #5 of 7
Norasmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Norasmom Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 12:54pm
post #6 of 7

MC hardens.  Just make the crown thick and it should be fine if it's not hot where you are.

Smckinney07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Smckinney07 Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 7

AI'd use chocolate as stated above. Merkens comes in many colors and it's going to be quicker, I'd make a thicker base or a couple coats for the base though.

MC will work as well but it can wilt. I like using Jennifer Dontz's pearl clay for things like that, it takes a while to get really hard but I like the way it tastes. Generally, MC doesn't get quite as hard as GP.

My first tiara was rock hard Gumpaste, for my friends little girls birthday cake. She ate it and loved it, I can't imagine it tasted very good but she didn't seem to mind.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%