Do You Like The Taste Of Candied Violets?

Decorating By liz at sugar Updated 17 Jan 2014 , 4:03am by sixinarow

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 1:38pm
post #31 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayti 

Oh, and I've never tried real candied violets, just those little violet sweets that were around when I was little. Hated them. I think it might just be one of those flavours you either love or hate.

I agree that you probably either love it or hate it.

Liz

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 1:54pm
post #32 of 45

whoa--i'm high on eclair photos--the mona lisa eyes--i mean co-ome o-on! superb all--

but re: sugared violets --the personally made ones are so much better cleaner clearer than the typical ones you get from france--i'm sure france has the clear ones too somewhere within the borders--just saying they surely don't ship that well either--

liz, i think you mentioned the two different french kinds upthread--blobs and tiny blobs --

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:30pm
post #33 of 45

K8, yes I'm sure freshly made sugared violets are suberb - this violet sand I have just looks like little matte irregular chunks of candy or sugar.

I second the thought on those photos - wish I had time to make multiple color combos like that!

Liz

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 3:19pm
post #34 of 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

howsweet, if you want to try them and see what happens, go ahead, but leave a note for the doctor/coroner. :D

Are you suggesting that African violets are deadly? If you eat an African violet flower, it's not going to kill you.. They are on the list of non edibles because you may have some symptoms after eating them, but they are considered non-toxic. Maybe don't go spreading misinformation.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:30pm
post #35 of 45

Apologies. I was exaggerating for dramatic effect/humor. I did put a grinning face emoticon. I guess that was too subtle.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:38pm
post #36 of 45

Quote:

Apologies. I was exaggerating for dramatic effect/humor. I did put a grinning face emoticon. I guess that was too subtle.

That's how I took your post - as humor,  I giggled :smile:

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:45pm
post #37 of 45

but who would want to eat an african violet if you could successfully attach the fuzzy little petals onto your blouse or t-shirt--i vote for sewing and wearing them ;) --scattered across the shoulder tumbling down the sleeve a little-- purple on ecru or white--just saying...kind of a kicked up swiss dot only african petals 

:lol:

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 5:48pm
post #38 of 45

ANow I have an irrational fear of dying from violets, thanks a lot Shanter!

(her post was obviously just a bit of humour, I can't imagine someone taking it otherwise)

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 6:01pm
post #39 of 45

Quote:

howsweet, if you want to try them and see what happens, go ahead, but leave a note for the doctor/coroner. :D

LOL, try covering them in disco dust for added effect. Maybe for some of those "special" people in your life. :wink:

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 7:38pm
post #40 of 45

Here's a recipe from Martha Stewart.

http://www.marthastewart.com/350345/sugared-flowers

She would never steer you wrong.

Martha loves us.  I've no doubt it's a 'good thing'.  ;)

Honestly I think the smaller and thinner the flower...the better chance you have of it not tasting soapy. 

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:34pm
post #41 of 45

Quote:

I apologize - I didn't understand the humor and thought the smiley meant you were trying to tell me I was going to die in the nicest way possible. Anyway, I've been annoyed with myself all morning for that reply and just now had a moment to come back and let you know I was sorry.

shanter Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 8:54pm
post #42 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

I apologize - I didn't understand the humor and thought the smiley meant you were trying to tell me I was going to die in the nicest way possible. Anyway, I've been annoyed with myself all morning for that reply and just now had a moment to come back and let you know I was sorry.

No problem. All forgotten.

Candied violets and pansies, carry on!

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 2:59am
post #43 of 45

A

Original message sent by -K8memphis

but who would want to eat an african violet if you could successfully attach the fuzzy little petals onto your blouse or t-shirt--i vote for sewing and wearing them ;) --scattered across the shoulder tumbling down the sleeve a little-- purple on ecru or white--just saying...kind of a kicked up swiss dot only african petals 

Original message sent by -K8memphis

That sounds lovely! But be careful, African violets WILL FREAKING KILL YOU. Shanter told me ;-)

shanter Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 3:52am
post #44 of 45

Anna, I'm gonna get ya!!! Be afraid!  :evil:

sixinarow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sixinarow Posted 17 Jan 2014 , 4:03am
post #45 of 45

Quote:

Originally Posted by carmijok 

Martha loves us.  I've no doubt it's a 'good thing'.  ;)

;-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%