Ca Homemade Food Act: Process For Adding To The List Of Allowed Foods

Business By FromScratchSF

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 6:11pm
post #1 of 1

I just got this email and although it does not apply to me, I thought I'd pass it on to my fellow CFL peeps in my state:

"Hello California Cottage Food Supporters!

I just found out that the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) has decided to consider requests for additions to the list of allowed foods in two annual bundles and they have put out a call for suggestions for additions to the list of allowed foods under the California Homemade Food Act.

The deadline to submit a request for additional foods for the first round this year is January 31.

This link will take you to the instructions for submitting a request:

This link will take you to the application you need to fill out to make a request:
http://cdph.ca.gov/programs/documents/fdbCFOapplication.pdf

NOTE: the first link takes you to an instruction page which has a broken link to the application so you'll have to use the second link provided above to access the application.

Of course we have no idea how CDPH will take these requests. I'm not a food scientist and these are totally just my guesses about what CDPH will consider seriously. My guess is that the products most likely to be added to the list would be dried vegetables and some clarification on what types of frosting can be used on cakes. The frosting issue has be a great topic of discussion and general confusion, I know, so I suspect many people will submit requests related to various types of frosting.

Remember, all items on the list must be "non-potentially hazardous" which means that the finished product does not require refrigeration and does not need to be served hot. It cannot contain any meat. Dairy and eggs are fine as long as they are baked into a product (like a pastry). The law also specifically states that many tomato-based products are "potentially hazardous" suggesting they are not eligible for the list of approved foods for cottage food operations unfortunately. 

Good luck!

0 replies

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%