When You Mean Sterilize Your Bowls/utensils...what Do You Use?

Decorating By Kiddiekakes Updated 27 Jan 2014 , 1:30am by FrostedMoon

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 4:17pm
post #1 of 4

If I were to offer Gluten-Free baking what product do I need to use in order to sterilize my stainless steel bowls and spatulas...

Also I realize that you can't be around or use any regular flour etc and the airborn particles must be eliminated...so how long would the kitchen have to be left before the particles would be gone or settled?Can you have flour around in containers for other baking or not at all...

I am trying to see if it is feasible to offer gluten  Free baking without the fear of being sued...and yes I am legal and bake from a Commercial kitchen...but the commerical kitchen is a cookery for kids which makes and prepare foods with flour etc...like pizza and cookies.cupcakes...

Laurel :-)

3 replies
auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 26 Jan 2014 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 4

Your food manager class should have covered this, but I use a bleach and water solution.  ALL your utensils, pans, everything get sanitized. Ditto your counters.   And you need to use the correct test strips to make sure you have the concentration right.  You can also use Iodine tabs or Quantarry Ammonia.  Bleach however is cheaper and easy to find.

FrostedMoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FrostedMoon Posted 27 Jan 2014 , 1:30am
post #4 of 4

Like Leah, I use water with bleach and test strips to make sure it is the right strength.  You have to make sure the bleach is the one that says it can be used for food prep on it.  I've found it at Home Depot, but not places like Target.  

As for the gluten issue, I'm not sure the bleach/water sterilization is enough.  This is a bit of an exaggeration, but you could technically have some cake stuck in the edge of a pan, put it through the bleach sterilization, and still have the cake stuck there.  The bleach kills germs, not gluten.  I've always felt to be able to absolutely GUARANTEE that it's gluten free, you would need a completely different set of bakeware and utensils.  I know not everyone does, but as someone with a gluten intolerance, I have an idea of just how much havoc this can cause for someone and I tend to err on the side of caution.  

I also think there is a time frame for how long it takes for flour to settle out of the air, but I don't know how long it is for sure.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%