Harry Potter Snitch Cake - Attaching Wings

Decorating By creativitydepot Updated 13 Jan 2014 , 4:29pm by creativitydepot

creativitydepot Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 3:58pm
post #1 of 3

My 8 year old daughter is a HUGE Harry Potter fan (and so is the rest of our family).

I'm trying to make her a snitch cake using the Wilton ball mold. I'm not too worried about wrapping the fondant around the ball with buttercream underneath. I make my own marshmallow fondant, so it's pretty pliable. (I'm sure I'll panic when I'm doing it, but that's another story altogether. :-) )

The question is...the wings.

With looking through photos on the web, I've seen them done many different ways. There's no way I'm going to do sugar work. I have a 4 year old who jumps around enough that the wings would be doomed...and I'm enough of a newbie to not attempt making them.

The way that intrigued me the most was using drizzled white chocolate that has been tinted a bit. The question is...HOW DO I SUPPORT THEM. Sticking them in the ball doesn't seem like it would be enough to support them...that it would rip the fondant and cut through the cake.

Any suggestions?

Thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

Leah

2 replies
Crazy-Gray Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 4:25pm
post #2 of 3

Amaking them edible will be so much of a pain I wouldn't bother! I would go with a medium guage white floral wire and some paper, they'll be super light and won't fall out or break and you can just take them out when you pull out the candles after she blows them out...

creativitydepot Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 3

Thanks! I like simple!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%