How Much Would It Cost To Have This Cake Made?

Decorating By faishay Updated 16 Jan 2014 , 1:24am by SystemMod1

Annabakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Annabakescakes Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:10pm
post #61 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by faishay 

Oh my. Then I am glad I posted here. I never would have had any clue that her sizing was off or the amount of servings.

I am glad you are glad! BTW, when you are thinking of 150 for the guest list, 20% or so wont come, leaving 120 guests (or so) and a full 20% of them wont eat cake. You could most likely order about 100 servings from a reputable baker, for about $350. ANd not worry if the cake is going to be a disaster.

howsweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
howsweet Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:22pm
post #62 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Annabakescakes 

Ignorant, you know what that means, Jason.This is the year 2014. It is the PC way of calling someone a stupid jackass. It means that the bakers didn't consider this woman was on a budget and didn't tell her what she wanted to hear.

I remember the good ole days when ignorant wasn't a bad thing, it just meant you didn't know something yet. Not that you were rude or stupid or incapable, you just lacked knowledge. Even in KY, the inbred, backwoods hillbillies of the 1980's used it properly.

Thank you so much for explaining that. I thought it still meant you didn't know something yet. I have a feeling it's used a lot by people who themselves don't know something yet, but think they know it all and then assume the other person who said what they don't know yet is a stupid jackass. . Just conjecture on my part :D

faishay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faishay Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:23pm
post #63 of 121

A

Original message sent by Annabakescakes

Ignorant, you know what that means, Jason.This is the year 2014. It is the PC way of calling someone a stupid jackass. It means that the bakers didn't consider this woman was on a budget and didn't tell her what she wanted to hear.

I remember the good ole days when ignorant wasn't a bad thing, it just meant you didn't know something yet. Not that you were rude or stupid or incapable, you just lacked knowledge. Even in KY, the inbred, backwoods hillbillies of the 1980's used it properly.

I wanted to hear the truth. Which I got from here but not the Baker herself.

tammyanderson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tammyanderson6 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:24pm
post #64 of 121

AI[quote name="jason_kraft" url="/t/767143/how-much-would-it-cost-to-have-this-cake-made/30#post_7476169"] Can you explain which responses were "ignorant"? Ignorant of what?[/Seriously? Look the word up!

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:25pm
post #65 of 121

AI didn't ask for the meaning of "ignorant", I asked which posts in this thread you thought were ignorant, and what they were ignorant of.

howsweet Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:26pm
post #66 of 121

Quote:

I wanted to hear the truth. Which I got from here but not the Baker herself.

And I think you wanted to also speak the truth which I applaud you for. I had posted that in a previous draft, but then didn't submit because the posts were coming so fast.  I'm really sorry I was as hard on you as I was.

howsweet Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:27pm
post #67 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by jason_kraft 

I didn't ask for the meaning of "ignorant", I asked which posts in this thread you thought were ignorant, and what they were ignorant of.

I think it was clear to everyone what you were asking and what has still not been answered.

jason_kraft Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:34pm
post #68 of 121

A

Original message sent by howsweet

I think it was clear to everyone what you were asking and what has still not been answered.

My response was to Tammy, who advised me to "look it up". At this point I am not able to look up her thoughts to determine which responses she considered "ignorant", thus necessitating the written conveyance of said information.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:41pm
post #69 of 121

I can see your frustration.  Sadly, it happens often.

The only information you have to go on is what has been told you.  I get that.  You just want to buy a cake.

Quote:

If the prices were insulting why would they even quote them to me? I was never trying to insult anyone, was just trying to get an idea of a price. When I first contacted them regarding pricing I stated what I wanted and for how many people (I described a three tier square cake to feed 150). They came back with the $150. Even after her giving me the higher quote I told her I wanted it to look like that, but only to feed 150 (whether or not the cake I posted is for more people I don't know because I am not a baker). The $275-$290 obviously is fair and the $290 quote came from a really great baker who does it for a living. So where I'm from I'd say that those are the average prices. We don't have high end bakeries, or even lots of options when it comes to who makes cakes for a living. I was just trying to understand why the price jump from $150 -$275. Obviously other bakers can charge more and have no problem getting the business for it, but some do it for cheaper because they love what they do and aren't necessarily in it to use it as an income.

Thanks for all your advice. :)

Oh how I wonder this myself.  Sadly, I would guess they don't even realize how insulting it is.  They (the bakers who quoted so low) have not done the true math to realize what the real cost of making a cake is.  They like to bake, they like parts of decorating, they like being a part of someone's big day, but they don't really pay attention to the business end.  What's worse, some of them really think they are making a profit.  They aren't.  Most just think they will do a bargain price to fill a portfolio.

Also, please recognize that you may not have meant to, but you may not have really provided all the details when you called for the quote.  I have had many a client say oh something simple then I get a photo that is anything but!  I don't know what it would cost or entail to get my teeth straightened.  I could say oh it's a simple alignment.  Until the orthodontist really looks at my teeth, his quote is inaccurate.

I understand your desire for the cake your groom has chosen. I even understand that you want it to be within your budget.  I am certain there is a baker out there who will do it.  Just please understand, that as an industry, it is something we combat every day.  People see those lovely bakers who don't need the income then they come to me and think I am price gouging.  I'm not.  I'm not getting rich on $4.50 an hour.  And, I really wish I could find a Lexus or Volvo dealer who sells cars for fun.  I need a good steal.

howsweet Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:44pm
post #70 of 121

Well put!

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 9:47pm
post #71 of 121

As the bride you have a vision in you head along with a picture.  You have received a ton of advice.  Make sure you communicate what you want to see when you walk into the reception.  I agree with Anna & Delicious Desserts on this one - 6,9,12 but I also believe those tiers are 5" high which is important to the whole look.  Make sure your baker knows this. This is also the only thing your fiance picked out (as you stated) so try and get as close as possible.

BTW, Congratulations !

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:40pm
post #72 of 121

Howsweet is correct. Ignorant means you don’t have the knowledge or the facts. Stupid means you don’t have the ability to reason and use logic, and that NO amount of application of knowledge will EVER get through. (like a broken calculator).

You have enough professional information now to make a reasonably informed purchasing decision for your cake.  Good Luck.

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:49pm
post #73 of 121

AOk now I have a question about the cake that is in the picture.....it looks like the top tier is a square all the way around. .right?? It looks to be roughly 6 inches high so the other two tiers are as high as that top tier, right? So when the Op asked the first baker how much for a three tier square cake is and she got a quote than the baker saw the picture and realize its a totally different cake than just a three tier cake and thats why she changed her quote. ..so is each tier 6 high?? Or whatever the size of that top tier is??

tammyanderson6 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:49pm
post #74 of 121

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

My response was to Tammy, who advised me to "look it up". At this point I am not able to look up her thoughts to determine which responses she considered "ignorant", thus necessitating the written conveyance of said information.

[quote name="jason_kraft" url="/t/767143/how-much-would-it-cost-to-have-this-cake-made/60#post_7476192"] My response was to Tammy, who advised me to "look it up". At this point I am not able to look up her thoughts to determine which responses she considered "ignorant", thus necessitating the written conveyance of said information.[/quote That one for starters.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 10:54pm
post #75 of 121

A

Original message sent by kazita

Ok now I have a question about the cake that is in the picture.....it looks like the top tier is a square all the way around. .right?? It looks to be roughly 6 inches high so the other two tiers are as high as that top tier, right? So when the Op asked the first baker how much for a three tier square cake is and she got a quote than the baker saw the picture and realize its a totally different cake than just a three tier cake and thats why she changed her quote. ..so is each tier 6 high?? Or whatever the size of that top tier is??

You're right; the top tier is a cube. It looks like 6". One other thought for the OP: You will be supplying the ribbon and flowers, but are going to attach them, or will the decorator be doing that? It may looks simple, but it takes a bit of skill.

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:03pm
post #76 of 121

A

Original message sent by tammyanderson6

I m I must agree....some responses were ignorant and rude.

Just wanted to know why you feel the need to start an argument,when the op feels more than satisfied with the responses she has received? She has received some very valuable information and now you are just stirring the pot.

BeckyRink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BeckyRink Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:08pm
post #77 of 121

Based on approximately 208 servings, I would have charged $800.00.  Perfectly smooth icing and squared corners takes more time than piping all over it.  Then add getting the ribbon to stick just so...

tammyanderson6 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:30pm
post #78 of 121

AAll

Original message sent by cakealicious7

Just wanted to know why you feel the need to start an argument,when the op feels more than satisfied with the responses she has received? She has received some very valuable information and now you are just stirring the pot.

I do believe you mean to direct this question to Jason. I have every right to agree with the writer of the original statement.

kazita Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:33pm
post #79 of 121

A

All I do believe you mean to direct this question to Jason. I have every right to agree with the writer of the original statement.

huh I confused who are you agreeing with??

jason_kraft Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:34pm
post #80 of 121

A

I do believe you mean to direct this question to Jason. I have every right to agree with the writer of the original statement.

OP's original statement was that some of the responses were a tad rude. You replied that some responses were ignorant and rude. I'm just trying to figure out which responses (before you made that statement obviously) you consider "ignorant", and why. It's a simple question.

kazita Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:38pm
post #81 of 121

A

Original message sent by jason_kraft

OP's original statement was that some of the responses were a tad rude. You replied that some responses were ignorant and rude. I'm just trying to figure out which responses (before you made that statement obviously) you consider "ignorant", and why. It's a simple question.

thanks Jason..didnt see or should I say I left to go do other things and came back to this thread and didnt reread it all to see that the Op said some of the responses were a tad bit rude

oftheeicing Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
oftheeicing Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:42pm
post #82 of 121

AA 16", 12", and 8" square is equal to 232 servings. My base price for a tiered buttercream, no-frills cake is $3.50 per serving, making the total cost $815. P.S. I am a licensed home baker. $275, no matter where you are located is a steal!

cakealicious7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakealicious7 Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 11:50pm
post #83 of 121

A

All I do believe you mean to direct this question to Jason. I have every right to agree with the writer of the original statement.

No I'm directing the question at you, and yes you have every right to agree with the OP's statement. But you made an accusation that the posters were being ignorant in their replies,Jason simply asked you a question and you have answered him with a less than satisfactory reply.

howsweet Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:16am
post #84 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazita 

Ok now I have a question about the cake that is in the picture.....it looks like the top tier is a square all the way around. .right?? It looks to be roughly 6 inches high so the other two tiers are as high as that top tier, right? So when the Op asked the first baker how much for a three tier square cake is and she got a quote than the baker saw the picture and realize its a totally different cake than just a three tier cake and thats why she changed her quote. ..so is each tier 6 high?? Or whatever the size of that top tier is??

I don't see anything in the photo that helps with perspective. It could just as easily be 4x4x4, couldn't it?

kazita Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:27am
post #85 of 121

AThat cake looks taller than four inches high...even someone else said it did but yes it could be a 4x4x4

ellavanilla Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellavanilla Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:29am
post #86 of 121

Quote:

Originally Posted by oftheeicing 

A 16", 12", and 8" square is equal to 232 servings. My base price for a tiered buttercream, no-frills cake is $3.50 per serving, making the total cost $815. P.S. I am a licensed home baker. $275, no matter where you are located is a steal!

Also a licensed home baker in southern california, my price for 232 servings is $928 and I wouldn't allow you to provide the ribbon and flowers unless I had a chance to talk to the florist first. 

If you think that's too high, I recently received a review on yelp where the customer praised my low price...yeesh!! seems like i gotta do a marketing survey!

FYI, not all home bakers can fit a 16 inch cake pan in their oven. Before you order (if you go with that size) ask that important question.

as you wish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
as you wish Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:36am
post #87 of 121

AI g

Original message sent by howsweet

I don't see anything in the photo that helps with perspective. It could just as easily be 4x4x4, couldn't it?

I guessed a 6" cube for the top tier based on perspective. Looking at the size of the flowers, the width of the ribbon and even the size of slight imperfections in the buttercream, that's the size it looks to me. But that's a guess; it could be another size.

kazita Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:41am
post #88 of 121

AI too guessed a 6 inch cube...and my point was im sure the baker that she asked that quoted her before she saw the picture was expecting a square not a cube on top and not taller tiers thats more cake

howsweet Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:55am
post #89 of 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by as you wish 

I g
I guessed a 6" cube for the top tier based on perspective. Looking at the size of the flowers, the width of the ribbon and even the size of slight imperfections in the buttercream, that's the size it looks to me. But that's a guess; it could be another size.

I did and I don't know how you can know the width of the ribbon, size of the flowers or width of the base (since it looks homemade). But if it's a 6 in cube, that cake would need to price out way higher than the second quote. I guess I don't have a lot a faith in someone charging so little for cake, I'm inclined to think it would be giving her too much credit. But if she did do that way, it seems very odd she didn't mention it when she upped the price. 

It's bad form to give a ballpark price without at least qualifying it, as in, I need to see the picture or sketch a definite design.  And then to change the price drastically with no explanation? This whole discourse between the OP and the original lowest priced baker sounds like a series of one red flag after another.

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 12:59am
post #90 of 121

Quote:

For all you who sell cakes for a living. How much would you charge for this cake. Using a 16", 12" and a 8". I would supply the ribbon and flowers to the person making it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by howsweet 

Really? So since if it's a 150 serving cake, the price might range from $525 to $5,250? Or $3.50 a serving to $35 a serving? The place where this cake would go for $35 a serving doesn't exist.  Price does vary by location, but nowhere near the degree it's purported to be.

It's really sad people spread this kind on thing.  Check out one of the biggest cupcake bakeries in the US, Sprinkles. They charge $3.50 for a cupcake where I live in a city with one of the lowest costs of living in the country. I found a price for the same cupcake in Manhattan, on Lexington Avenue is also $3.50, not $35.

Even if you start with the bizarrely low price of $1.84 per serving, then that means that cake would sell for $10.84 per serving somewhere, which is also an extremely bizarre price for a plain buttercream cake on a foil base with some ribbons from Michaels wrapped around it and a few orchids.

No one can be profitble in the cake business selling cake for $1.84 a serving. Not if we're talking about a home baker.

I'm not sure why it's less than $525 not including the flowers. I have a feeling some home baker's spouse will be subsidizing the price of your cake with a full time job. I'm sure you will think I'm crazy, considering the fact you seem to think $150 would have been a fair price.

In case anyone doesn't know the term, subsidize:

verb
support (an organization or activity) financially.
"it was beyond the power of a state to subsidize a business"

synonyms: give money to, pay a subsidy to, contribute to

Quote:

What I'm saying is that they have other jobs as well. Making cakes isn't their isn't how they make their income. That's all I meant by it.

Quote:

I have no idea. That's why I posted on here what most people would charge. However, where I am from they charge a lot less than other places I would assume. Seeing as most of you have said $400+ for the cake I have posted.

The only reason I posted is that the lady knew what I wanted (three square tiers to feed 150 people) and she told me $150. Then once she seen the picture (which is exactly what I told her I wanted to begin with.. even supplying the ribbon and flowers and that I didn't want those little icing balls around the edge) she told me $275. So I wanted to get an idea from others.. which obviously was not a good idea.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shaunana 

What kind of baker jumps from 150 to 275, let alone even sells at 150? I'd give negotiating a try. Something tells me they've got wiggle room. And if they're not willing to negotiate, $275 is a steal of a deal! 

A baker who just realised how much they have just underpriced themselves.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%