Do You Freeze Your Cakes And Bake Ahead?

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 19 Feb 2014 , 2:23pm by Simply MiMi

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 4:15am
post #1 of 12

Hey guys! I always bake and decorate the day before an order is due, including wedding cakes to ensure freshness. I've always had this concern of my cake drying out or not tasting fresh to the client if I froze it or baked it too far in advance. Now that I'm moving into more of a busier pace with these cakes, I just want to know is it REALLY ok and taste the same if you bake 3-4 days ahead and freeze it? This may alleviate some extreme tiredness if I could do this and it still taste great. I'm very serious about making sure my clients get fresh moist cake as all of us are, so Im a bit paranoid. However, I will take the word of my fellow cakesters bc I trust you! Thanks guys! I would love to hear how you do it!

11 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 4:40am
post #2 of 12

AI always purposefully get my cakes in the freezer at least overnight.ive frozen wedding cakes for weeks with no adverse effect.

leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 4:42am
post #3 of 12

AHowever I do have a freezer JUST for cakes. Not self defrosting, no off odors.

sweetneice Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 4:54am
post #4 of 12

Thank you Leah s! Is there a certain way you are supposed to wrap it?

leah_s Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 4:59am
post #5 of 12

AI just make sure each layer is completely covered in film. No exposed edges.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 5:03am
post #6 of 12

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetneice 

However, I will take the word of my fellow cakesters bc I trust you!

Don't take our word, try it.  Once I didn't freeze a sample cake, and everyone wanted to know what I did differently because it didn't taste as moist as usual.

mudj03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mudj03 Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 5:19am
post #7 of 12

i do! just beware that some recipes do not freeze as well as others. i hve found cakes with a creamed butter and sugar method to not freeze well, the texture changes and seems to dry out.

sweetneice Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 5:38am
post #8 of 12

Thanks guys for all your suggestions! I will definitely try it first and see what happens!

bakingkat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakingkat Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 4:59am
post #9 of 12

I freeze my cakes all the time and people LOVE them (and it's creamed butter/sugar) I usually do ALL of my baking on Wednesday for the weeks orders. The day before I need them I pull them out and fill them, then let them settle in the fridge overnight stacked like they will end up, then day of I frost/decor/deliver. It works great for me and I will make up to 6-7 wedding cakes a week on my own using this system.  At a wedding show this weekend I had many quests say that most of the cakes were dry and mine were by far the best, and they were eating cake that had been frozen for over a week... I even freeze my samples up to 4 months and people still love them.  I make sure they are wrapped really well with no cake exposed. For longer freezing I will wrap twice or wrap it and put it in a box.

sweetneice Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 5:12am
post #10 of 12

AWoooow! Thats amazing!!! Maybe i can increase how many i do using that method. Im so exhausted from baking, decorating, and making icing the same day that i felt it best to ask if there was another way without compromising my product and moistness. Thanks a million bakingkat!

cakebaby2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakebaby2 Posted 30 Jan 2014 , 11:33am
post #11 of 12

You've answered the question that's been worrying me. I'm doing my daughters wedding cake in September this year (300 gumpaste flowers already nestling in box) and the bottom two tiers are fruit, nuts and booze so I'm starting them around June but the third and fourth will be sponge. The thought of baking cakes the day before the wedding (I'm the florist too!) has me out like a wet rag!

If I can freeze these sponge cakes which are going to be soused in a champagne syrup a few weeks before the wedding that will be great.

Simply MiMi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Simply MiMi Posted 19 Feb 2014 , 2:23pm
post #12 of 12

I always freeze mine as well, I think it actually makes them better!:-D

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%