Edible Image Printer

Business By HiddenKitty Updated 18 Jan 2014 , 10:53pm by BruceIII

HiddenKitty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HiddenKitty Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 3:42am
post #1 of 4

AWhat is the best edible image printer on the market? I am interested in buying one for my business and I don't want to grab the wrong brand. What all do I need to know? Best brand for ink cartridges and sugar sheets.

3 replies
anamarlosweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamarlosweet Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 4

A

Original message sent by HiddenKitty

What is the best edible image printer on the market? I am interested in buying one for my business and I don't want to grab the wrong brand. What all do I need to know? Best brand for ink cartridges and sugar sheets.

anamarlosweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anamarlosweet Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:06pm
post #3 of 4

AI am also interested in this...can one printer print the same sheets to be for both cakes and chocolate?

BruceIII Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BruceIII Posted 18 Jan 2014 , 10:51pm
post #4 of 4

Thoughts from a guy who supports the wife that's has been doing edible images for 11 or so years.

Find a vendor that sells the ink tanks and edible image sheets.

On the vendors website, they list what ink tanks fit which printers.

Decide the biggest sheet of edible image paper you want to print.

Buy a printer you can get ink tanks for and prints the size paper you want.

We currently have a Canon ip3500 (prints only 7x9 images) and a Canon ix6520 (prints both the 7x9 and 9x15 image paper). In the future, we will have 2 ix6520 (prints both sizes). One main printer and a backup.

You want to get a printer with replaceable print heads, because edible ink is "tougher" on the heads. If we get 200 images(pages) out of a print head, we are very happy. We have the best luck when we can print an image (or more) a day. If you leave an edible image printer on, but not used, the heads clog after a few days. If the edible printer is off, the heads take a weekish or so to clog.

We have an ultrasonic cleaner to clean clogged printheads. If you have the time, its worth the money.

When the printer/ink/sheets work edible images are easy money.

When the printer/ink/sheets are giving you fits, all the money in the world is not enough to deal with the frustration.

One other local bakery that does edible images, treats the whole printer as a disposable item. When the printer/heads/tanks don't work, they pitch the whole print setup and starts with another. I couldn't argue with that approach.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%