Star Tip On A Ball Cake? How To Ice?

Decorating By arh624 Updated 12 Jan 2014 , 10:53pm by -K8memphis

arh624 Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 8:23pm
post #1 of 4

AI am making my husbands birthday cake tomorrow and he is a big basketball fan so I decided to make him the Wilton basketball cake using the star tip---I will be using a Pyrex bowl to bake in.

1. I was thinking I would fill the bottom half of the ball with the star tip icing (as well as piping in the lines), then flip that half onto the cake board--this will allow me to easily star tip the top of this piece (bc I am assuming it is hard to use the start tip on oarts of the cake that are next to the cake board?) then I plan on creating the dam/adding filling---then taking the top half of the ball and putting it over this and simply using the already drawn lines from the bottom half to continue over the filling and top of the sphere. Then I can fill in the rest of the ball w the star tip.

Is this a good method? Or will I be better off assembling the entire cake and then doing all the icing at once?

2. If I use Tera cotta colored icing for the dam in between layers, can I get away with not doing a crumb coat and simply filling the cake w stars?

Thanks in advanxe

3 replies
-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 4

maybe so--i don't think i've ever flipped a cake like that after i decorated it--that might work--

but yes i would assemble all at once--then decorate--

another way to do that is to make a very small cake board for that to sit on so you can place that on a can (of soup or vegetables) so that you can get to it from every angle to decorate then take that and place it on the real bottom board--securing it with a smear of icing or with hot glue--

you can just slather on icing like mayonaise--real thin--or none at all if you are diligent with the stars--you could also go back with a small dot of  icing like a #3 tip to fill in any holidays in the coverage--

also i'm kinda worried about the rounded ball shape of the top of your bowl--it might look like the basketball is flat on top like it needs to be pumped up with air unless you have a piece of cake to fill in that top section to round it out a bit--

arh624 Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 4

AThanks, that's a good idea! Also, I will probably round off the top with icing and then cover the icing with starts along with the rest of the cake, hopefully that will take care of it.

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 4

maybe that will work--but be careful with that--if you can spare a little batter to bake off in another little bowl you'll be better off doing it that way--icing is not super reliable to apply in that way--

or even when you level the top of the bowl cakes--use that as first choice instead of icing is my recommendation--

best basketball baking & caking to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%