Refund From Canceled Cake Central December 7Th Classes In Philadelphia

Business By CakeryBakery Updated 16 Jan 2014 , 3:15am by CakeryBakery

CakeryBakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeryBakery Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 6:53pm
post #1 of 39

Did anyone register and pay for the December 7th classes that were to take place in Philadelphia receive their refund? I have called and sent numerous emails but still have not received my refund...  or a response to my phone call or email.  I even sent Jackie a private message via cake central and no response.

38 replies
margpegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margpegg Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 12:11am
post #2 of 39

I also have not received any response from Cake Central. i have called and sent e-mails as well

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 12:30am
post #3 of 39

You could always call your bank or credit card company to reverse the charges since you got nothing and have had no response from the company, which is super unprofessional.  A quick email to all that paid for the class about when you should expect your refunds should take no time for them.  I don't understand a company that takes so long (or at all) to emails or phone calls.

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 1:06am
post #4 of 39

I agree, I would call your CC company.

Elcee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elcee Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 1:45am
post #5 of 39

This is extreme but have you considered emailing the instructors? People signed up for the classes because of them, not because of CC. I'm sure they don't want people saying "I paid for a class with ____, and when it was cancelled I couldn't get a refund."

CakeryBakery Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 1:47am
post #6 of 39

AContacted my bank today...... I actually paid through Paypal. I'm very upset as the no response is unprofessional and uncalled for particularly since they are soliciting decorators for classes in other states. It's a little more difficult when you pay throught PayPal and the classes are more then 45 days after payment..... My bank and PayPal are working together to help reverse/resolve the issue.

CakeryBakery Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 1:54am
post #7 of 39

AYes...... I am drafting an email to send to all of the instructors to make them aware..... Given the amount of times I have called, left messages and emailed I don't consider it drastic.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 4:36am
post #8 of 39

They already have an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau  and they are not BBB-accreditated, so I doubt a complaint there would amount to anything.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 5:06am
post #9 of 39

*accredited

scrumdiddlycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrumdiddlycakes Posted 14 Jan 2014 , 5:50am
post #10 of 39

Quote:

Originally Posted by shanter 

They already have an "F" rating with the Better Business Bureau  and they are not BBB-accreditated, so I doubt a complaint there would amount to anything.

*snicker*

FromScratchSF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratchSF Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 2:12am
post #11 of 39

Hello, what happened?  I have no info and before I call people that have been making the arrangements for MY classes in April, I would like to make sure I have all the info here.  That doesn't mean that I can help anyone here, but I AM a future instructor...

CakeryBakery Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 5:46pm
post #12 of 39

After contacting PayPal....

Since I paid for the class in August (wanted to take advantage of the discount) and class was to occur on December 7th it was past the 45 days to file with PayPal.  I contacted paypal (via phone) explained the situation and my concerns.  

Contacted the bank... meanwhile I had continued to contact Jackie. I have called, emailed, and sent a private message via cake central.  No response, never contacted me to say they are still making refunds or that they are having problems refunding.  When I called Cake Central I pressed 1 for Jackie, then it got to a point where I left messages on all of her possible phone lines.  I even asked if they could respond to give an estimated date on when to expect the refund or if they just give an update to let me know if they are processing them and are running xxx days behind.  Still no response.  They just refused to respond, which caused me to eventually post on Cake Central.  

I finally received my refund today.  I will never EVER sign up to any classes through cake central... I will never by any products from them.  It's a shame because I am a very understanding and forgiving person.  I caution anyone who plans to take classes through cake central..... if possible deal directly with the trainer.

reginaherrin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
reginaherrin Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 39

I just can't believe a company that operates like this and is still in business.  If I ran my business like them I would be out of business in a heartbeat.  So glad you where able to finally get a refund.  I checked out their BBB rating and they have had over 70 complaints all about the same thing and never resolved.  And I am sure tons of more people has had this happened to as well just never went to BBB. 

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 7:01pm
post #14 of 39

I am also still waiting and calling and leaving messages. I agree that it may not be CC at fault, but hteir lack of response is faulty. Just answer our emails and voicemails (which is all that is happening since nobody picks up a phone or responds to my emails.) It took less than 24 hours for the money to be removed from my account but they cannot refund it in 7 weeks? I cannot get anything from my credit card company because my patience kept me from doing it in a timely manner. I waould like my money back, lease!

FromScratchSF Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 10:46pm
post #15 of 39

I asked what happened and told you I ACTUALLY HAVE PEOPLE I CAN CALL and get info, not a one of you bothered to answer my post. I am an instructor that has agreed to do classes for CC with good intentions to share my knowledge and expertise with those less knowledgeable and less experienced. If there is some issue with CC, on behalf of the other future instructors, I'd sure like to know what is it.

I don't know what happened with the classes you are complaining about, but it says "NO REFUNDS" when you signed up so if CC cancelled the class for some reason, I'd need to know what it was.  It may be considered a circumstance that would fall under the "NO REFUNDS" clause you agreed to when you bought the class.

Jackie is not in charge of the classes.  She doesn't moderate this website and rarely answers PMs.  Right now you have the ear of someone that actually is extremely interested in this topic and has a real live name and phone number of the person, whom you've never heard of and has nothing to do with this website, that is in charge of the class tour.  So if you really want to help, please respond to me via this or you can send me a PM.  If you just want to complain, carry on.

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 15 Jan 2014 , 11:15pm
post #16 of 39

FromScratch,SF

I did not take the class but have been following this thread.  After reading your post a question comes to mind.  If someone pays for a class and it is cancelled at the Provider end how can there be no refunds?  There is an expectation of services that were not provided.  You don't go to the movies and pay for a ticket and sit and watch a blank screen for 2 hours - you would want your money back.

If you pay for a class and are a no show or change your mind down the road, I can understand the No Refund rule.  I can't believe if CC cancels your out your hard earned money.   What did CC do to earn that money? 

Jeanne

FromScratchSF Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 12:46am
post #17 of 39

AI'm missing what canceled the class.That's all. Did an instructor do a no show? Not enough interest? People bought the class but decided not to go so they want their money back? What was it? I just read that a few are upset that refunds are slow. 40 days for a refund isn't slow. It may seem that way to you but it's not, especially if the payment was several months ago and you used Paypal. I know people LOVE Paypal on this site but Paypal is not a bank. They take forever to review refunds, especially for months old purchases then give them back because paypal looses their fees. I'm not taking a side here, but like I said if people are bashing the classes and I'm getting PMs from people saying they'd take my class "if only CC wasn't steeling people's money haven't you seen this thread" I sure would like more info that unless I'm completely not seeing it.

joknee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
joknee Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 1:27am
post #18 of 39

I paid for two classes with my credit card (not Paypal) and $200.00 was on my account within 24 hours. We were emailed by  Leanne Winslow on December 4th that the classes were cancelled and that refunds would be processed. On Dec 6th we were again emailed to ask if we incurred any other expenses such as airfare, etc. and they would do what they could to work with those people.. There was no reason given, but they cancelled, not us. In addition there cannot have been so many people awaiting refunds that they cannot send out a general email or respond to specific phone calls and emails to keep us updated. It is entirely unprofessional and uncalled for.

I understand the slowness of refunds sometimes but not the total disregard of all of us who have asked for further information. You may want to think twice about being an instructor for them because they are not transparent in their dealings with customers.

CakeryBakery Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:03am
post #19 of 39

ASorry I don't get on here to post too often. I own a bakery with employees and currently in the middle of interviewing for a vacant position. . Basically I paid for one of the cake central class with joshua john russell (quatrefoiI cake) paid in August because I wanted to take advantage of the early registration discount. The class was to take place December 7th in philadelphia on December 4th I received a called that unfortunately the class has been canceled and they would by refunding my money right away. On December 23rd since I had not receive a refund I followed up assuming with the holidays and having to refund so many people they were running a little behind getting refunds out. No response. I waited until December 29th, called and followed up with another email expressing my concerns and the fact that I did pay via PayPal I wasn't sure if they could even do a refund since it was over 45 days. No return call and no response to me email. So... After reading paypals policy I called PayPal explained the issue and was told that it was beyond the dispute period and was also told I needed to have my bank dispute the charge on my behalf. The bank said it was too late to dispute..... So based on PayPal and the response from my bank I drafted an email to both my bank and PayPal. Extremely upset I then made a call to my attorney. Took my attorneys advice which was to write a letter to my bank and PayPal letting them know in writing my concern,the fact that Cake central is still offerring classing, I also had to document when emails were sent and when telephone calls were made. Then I sent my final email to Central Centra.... Reason my attorney was going to handle if I couldn't not get it resolved...... Of course that means additional fees and the headache of having to deal with something that could have been prevented just by a quick response to say we are processing the refunds..... Please be patient! That's it....... That's all it would have taken....

I understand things happen, we all get busy from time to time. They could have been on vacation..... What ever the reason it really doesn't matter now. They have lost my faith and trust. I will never prepay for anything on Cake Central. Yes, I was entitled to a full refund.... I didn't change my mind about going to class...... I didn't attempt to reschedule my class... As busy as I was on December 7th I made arrangements to attend the class. I didn't ask for them to refund anything but the amount I paid for class.....

I'm just glass this has been resolve. Please forgive any typos I never know how difficult it was to type on my iPad....

FromScratchSF Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:04am
post #20 of 39

But how many of you?

So wait, you are complaining you got your refund in 24 hours on your credit card but Cake Central sucks and was is unprofessional?  Unprofessional why?  Because 3 other people paid with Paypal and haven't gotten daily status updates from Cake Central making sure they were personally satisfied? Maybe because I'm close to this I get defensive, but why does everyone on this site think there are 20,000 people working at Cake Central to make sure that all 2,500,000 members have their hand held daily?

Seriously, Paypal is your enemy, not Cake Central.  I know this as a merchant and this is why I don't use Paypal: once the payment payment passes ACH it's really hard to initiate a refund and it takes a really long time to get it.  Just spend a few moments to Google Paypal and how they fight refunds that have already left their bank.

I'm sorry the class, whatever it was, was cancelled, but it sounds like the refunds were initiated and have been going out depending on how you paid.  It does not sound like Cake Central is trying to steal anyone's money.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:13am
post #21 of 39

A

Original message sent by joknee

I [B]am also still waiting and calling and leaving messages[/B]. I agree that it may not be CC at fault, but hteir lack of response is faulty. Just answer our emails and voicemails (which is all that is happening since nobody picks up a phone or responds to my emails.) It took less than 24 hours for the money to be [B]removed[/B] from my account [B]but they cannot refund it in 7 weeks[/B]? I cannot get anything from my credit card company because my patience kept me from doing it in a timely manner. I waould like my money back, lease!

CakeryBakery Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:15am
post #22 of 39

AYes, I received a telephone and then written notice. I asked point blank why?. "she couldn't say" but that classes were not being rescheduled. It was not snowing nor any storms heading in this direction.

Yes, 40 days for a refund IS slow. Most refunds happen 7-10 days. After 30-45 days it extremely difficult to dispute a charge and the chances of getting PayPal or your bank to refund the money is almost impossible. Since the class was paid for in August and was not to take place until December 7th I needed to have this issued addressed ASAP.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:15am
post #23 of 39

A

Original message sent by joknee

I paid for two classes with my credit card (not Paypal) and $200.00 was on my account within 24 hours. We were emailed by  Leanne Winslow on December 4th that the classes were cancelled and that refunds would be processed. On Dec 6th we were again emailed to ask if we incurred any other expenses such as airfare, etc. and they would do what they could to work with those people.. There was no reason given, but they cancelled, not us. In addition there cannot have been so many people awaiting refunds that they cannot send out a general email or respond to specific phone calls and emails to keep us updated. It is entirely unprofessional and uncalled for. I understand the slowness of refunds sometimes but not the total disregard of all of us who have asked for further information. You may want to think twice about being an instructor for them because they are not transparent in their dealings with customers.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:18am
post #24 of 39

A[

Original message sent by FromScratchSF

But how many of you? [B] So wait, you are complaining you got your refund in 24 hours on your credit card but Cake Central sucks and was is unprofessional?[/B]  Unprofessional why?  Because 3 other people paid with Paypal and haven't gotten daily status updates from Cake Central making sure they were personally satisfied? [SIZE=13px]Maybe because I'm close to this I get defensive, but why does everyone on this site think there are 20,0[/SIZE][SIZE=13px]00 people working at Cake Central to make sure that all 2,500,000 members have their hand held daily?[/SIZE]

Seriously, Paypal is your enemy, not Cake Central.  I know this as a merchant and this is why I don't use Paypal: once the payment payment passes ACH it's really hard to initiate a refund and it takes a really long time to get it.  Just spend a few moments to Google Paypal and how they fight refunds that have already left their bank.

I'm sorry the class, whatever it was, was cancelled, but it sounds like the refunds were initiated and have been going out depending on how you paid.  It does not sound like Cake Central is trying to steal anyone's money.

called PayPal explained the issue and was told that it was beyond the dispute period and was also told I needed to have my bank dispute the charge on my behalf. The bank said it was too late to dispute..... So based on PayPal and the response from my bank I drafted an email to both my bank and PayPal. Extremely upset I then made a call to my attorney. Took my attorneys advice which was to write a letter to my bank and PayPal letting them know in writing my concern,the fact that Cake central is still offerring classing, I also had to document when emails were sent and when telephone calls were made. Then I sent my final email to Central Centra.... Reason my attorney was going to handle if I couldn't not get it resolved...... Of course that means additional fees and the headache of having to deal with something that could have been prevented just by a quick response to say we are processing the refunds..... Please be patient! That's it....... That's all it would have taken....

I understand things happen, we all get busy from time to time. They could have been on vacation..... What ever the reason it really doesn't matter now. They have lost my faith and trust. I will never prepay for anything on Cake Central. Yes, I was entitled to a full refund.... I didn't change my mind about going to class...... I didn't attempt to reschedule my class... As busy as I was on December 7th I made arrangements to attend the class. I didn't ask for them to refund anything but the amount I paid for class.....

I'm just glass this has been resolve. Please forgive any typos I never know how difficult it was to type on my iPad....[/quote]

DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:19am
post #25 of 39

AI think it got confusing.

The example put forth by the person paying by credit card was not refunded in 24 hours.

She was stating the money was removed within 24 (taken from her bank) but not refunded for several weeks.

DeliciousDesserts Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:23am
post #26 of 39

ASo, if I understand correctly, some people paid by credit card some by paypal. Neither was refunded for several weeks.

But the Real issue of discord is the lack of communication. If there had been even a mass email listing an eta of refund, people would have been reassured. Instead, they felt ignored.

CakeryBakery Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:26am
post #27 of 39

AI didn't get a refund in 24 hours.. nor did I ask cake central to hold my hand. I questioned them numerous times... called several times before contacting PayPal. Called and emailed several more time prior to contacting my bank... called and emailed again before contacting my attorney. They

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:28am
post #28 of 39

FromScratch,

I think that joknee's complaint is that it only took CC 24 hours to take her money, but that its been over a month and still no refund.  Given that she used a credit card, the PayPal rationale doesn't cut it in her case.  This sounds somewhat similar to the issues related to the magazine in the past. . . missing issues. . . no refunds. . . . a failure on CC's part to communicate with disgruntled customers.  If past performances are any guide, the next step will be for this thread to not only be locked, but for it to disappear completely. 

And, I would suggest that PayPal is not the enemy.  CC arranged the classes, it is CC's responsibility to see to it that refunds are issued within a reasonable timeframe.  PayPal's dispute resolution policies may be flawed, but its CC's failure to take responsibility that makes that dispute resolution necessary.

Paperfishies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paperfishies Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:32am
post #29 of 39

Wow, absolutely ridiculous. 

karennayak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karennayak Posted 16 Jan 2014 , 2:40am
post #30 of 39

I agree with cakeyouverymuch.

CC organised.

CC cancelled.

CC must ensure that refunds are made at the earliest.

cakerybakery and joknee get my support.

They make valid points. They are owed money. They are not just complaining.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%