Wow--Do You Think This Promotes An Idealized Physical Appearance?

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 13 Jan 2014 , 1:03am by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

i am wondering what you think about facebook's deleting this woman's avatar where she had lost a ton of weight and had both legs stuffed into one leg of the pants she used to wear-- 

http://www.wmctv.com/story/24420392/womans-weight-loss-photo-removed-from-facebook?clienttype=generic&mobilecgbypass

does that picture promote an idealized physical appearance to you? more so than other fb pictures and ads?

6 replies
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 7

I think everyone with a facebook account should link to the story so as to give it as wide a publication as possible.  I agree with the commenter on the story who points out that facebook permit all manner of T&A, both in postings and in sidebar ads, as well as abuse of women (under the rubric of so-called humor) yet rejects this photo and those of women breastfeeding. 

savannahquinn Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 7

I think fb has lost its mind.

FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 7

But they continue to allow videos of live, real, human beheadings. 

http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/22/news/companies/facebook-violent-videos/

Look, it's their website, they can do what they want.  I'm not OK with it just like I'm not OK with having a Google Plus profile even though I don't want a Google Plus profile but because I have a google email address, I automatically get one weather I like it or not.  And I'm REALLY not OK with Google now letting anyone send email to my private google email address thru this google plus profile that I never waned in the first place but there isn't a thing I can do about it unless I decide to turn off the computer and never get back on.  It sucks because obviously that's not an option.  Apparently I can "opt out" of this new feature but I can't seem to find that page...

And my husband works for Google.  Haha

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 7

i just can't believe fb i mean just take into account the name face book y'know? how can they possibly justify this--like they are really gonna be able to police that across the board? i don't think so.--

i've lost weight and it's annoying how differently you are treated--not that i don't prefer good treatment but people really put a 'new value' on you--suddenly you are more accepted--except not on face book? created to be one of the vainest places on the internet--but not for weight loss triumphs? she can't flaunt her success? srsly?

jared that lost all the weight eating subways held up his former big britches on tv--lotsa peeps do that

MBalaska Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 12:10am
post #6 of 7

Kate: I've never done the facebook thingie, (techie stuff over my head) but thanks for reminding me about the weight thing.  I'm a yo-yo that learned that the people who were rude and dismissive to me when I'm big............can never be worthy of my trust when I'm small.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

mb, brilliant *=D> applause 

amazing that the birth of respect so casually becomes a litmus test that reveals who to avoid

*:-)/\:-) high five

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%