Wow--Do You Think This Promotes An Idealized Physical Appearance?

Lounge By -K8memphis Updated 13 Jan 2014 , 1:03am by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 4:11pm
post #1 of 7

i am wondering what you think about facebook's deleting this woman's avatar where she had lost a ton of weight and had both legs stuffed into one leg of the pants she used to wear--

does that picture promote an idealized physical appearance to you? more so than other fb pictures and ads?

6 replies
cakeyouverymuch Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 5:41pm
post #2 of 7

I think everyone with a facebook account should link to the story so as to give it as wide a publication as possible.  I agree with the commenter on the story who points out that facebook permit all manner of T&A, both in postings and in sidebar ads, as well as abuse of women (under the rubric of so-called humor) yet rejects this photo and those of women breastfeeding. 

savannahquinn Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 5:48pm
post #3 of 7

I think fb has lost its mind.

FromScratchSF Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 7:02pm
post #4 of 7

But they continue to allow videos of live, real, human beheadings.

Look, it's their website, they can do what they want.  I'm not OK with it just like I'm not OK with having a Google Plus profile even though I don't want a Google Plus profile but because I have a google email address, I automatically get one weather I like it or not.  And I'm REALLY not OK with Google now letting anyone send email to my private google email address thru this google plus profile that I never waned in the first place but there isn't a thing I can do about it unless I decide to turn off the computer and never get back on.  It sucks because obviously that's not an option.  Apparently I can "opt out" of this new feature but I can't seem to find that page...

And my husband works for Google.  Haha

-K8memphis Posted 12 Jan 2014 , 11:59pm
post #5 of 7

i just can't believe fb i mean just take into account the name face book y'know? how can they possibly justify this--like they are really gonna be able to police that across the board? i don't think so.--

i've lost weight and it's annoying how differently you are treated--not that i don't prefer good treatment but people really put a 'new value' on you--suddenly you are more accepted--except not on face book? created to be one of the vainest places on the internet--but not for weight loss triumphs? she can't flaunt her success? srsly?

jared that lost all the weight eating subways held up his former big britches on tv--lotsa peeps do that

MBalaska Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 12:10am
post #6 of 7

Kate: I've never done the facebook thingie, (techie stuff over my head) but thanks for reminding me about the weight thing.  I'm a yo-yo that learned that the people who were rude and dismissive to me when I'm big............can never be worthy of my trust when I'm small.

-K8memphis Posted 13 Jan 2014 , 1:03am
post #7 of 7

mb, brilliant *=D> applause 

amazing that the birth of respect so casually becomes a litmus test that reveals who to avoid

*:-)/\:-) high five

Quote by @%username% on %date%